Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good workshops you have attended??? >

Good workshops you have attended???

Good workshops you have attended???

Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Hi all,
I live in upstate NY, I have a big old house that can easily be a B&B and I would love to do this!! I went to an art workshop this summer and I was thinking of doing that here, at my house, except with both art and quilt workshops. My question is what quilting teachers have you had workshops with that you felt were really worthwhile? Art quilt workshops and traditional are both going to be represented, so any names would be appreciated! Thanks!
Nancy
Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Anyone? Any suggestions? Thanks,
Nancy
Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Jinny Beyer. I flew all the way to the east coast.... to her seminars.... www.jinnybeyer.com
Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

I only how to host the retreats at B&B's, but gained a lot of experience from working with the lodge owner!
Start with making sure you can even do this in your home. THat means talking with your insurance company!As well as local zoning commission. FInd other B&B's and retreat houses and correspond with them!

YOu might consider hosting Retreats for a year to see how things work out!

For teachers, you need to start LOCAL...find the teachers that are available quickly and closely as they will be easier to book right away and not be too costly for you/attendees!

Then get ideas to maybe host 1-2 BIG names during the year. Remember, the bigger the name, the longer you have to wait to get them, and the more you need to pay up front to reserve them!

I wish you well on this adventure..it is not easy, nor is it for everyone, but if you really have your heart set on it, and you are dedicated to doing the research/homework, then you will reap some mighty fine rewards!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM

I agree with Jaciquiltznok [hope I spelled that correctly.]

Start with local talent. Some groups may want to provide their own leader for their retreats ... and that is OK too. Once you are well established you can then offer more experienced talent for your retreats.

Check for zoning, parking, water & sewer facilities [we women do take a toll on septic tanks and water usage] , electrical capability, lighting, wall space for displaying projects, ironing boards and irons. Storage space is a must as is good tables and chairs ... or at least pads for the chairs. A comfortable area for those who want to relax or do handwork in quieter surroundings.

Adequate insurance coverage is must. On one of our retreats someone burned the carpet with her iron. No one 'fessed up and I think our group had to pay for damages.

Then there is the matter of food. Does each group provide their own and have space in the kitchen for refrigeration, prep, and cooking. Or ... will you provide meals for a fee. Then you have to consider cooking for special diets: lactose free, diabetic, salt free, caffiene free, food intolerances.

Small groups vs larger groups. What sizes can you accomodate. Can you do 2 separate small groups that are not occupying the same creative space?

What type of contract do you envision having for groups.
What choices? Deposits and are they refundable before a determined date for certain causes. This includes asking if the group has it's own insurance for retreats, as many guild have this in place. Or maybe agroup can purchase a one time policy for each retreat.

Then another biggie: do you have community [neighbors as well as quilters/artists] support.

Do you have a means for providing good publicity. Will you publish is a local paper or something like The Country Registrar, or LQS's. Can you have a web site and maintain it ... or hire someone to help you with this.

Lots to think about and do.

Good luck.

ali
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

AliKat brought up MANY valid points/issues..
another BIGGY...Electricity....you have to make sure you can carry the LOAD...as in if there are 4 irons/12 machines and somebody makes a bag of popcorn in the microwave it can go along nicely..usually that micro will overload it all...hehehe...or one too many irons!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:12 AM

Wow!!! So many good ideas and advice, things I hadn't even thought about! Thank you so much,
Nancy