Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: goodwill

Stopped into our local goodwill store this am to see if they had anything that I could use for quilting. and lo and behold! I found remnents hanging with the sheets and curtains. I got like 4 yards of navy blue cotton for 1.27. also got 5 others that were on nice colors, cotton and most were over a yard, all for under 1.27 each. Dont know if anyone has looked for fabric in there before but you cant beat the price!

Ihave stopped into my Good Will on occasion. They never have any fabric or other quilt stuff. I think they donate it to another cause . They have had a few sewing machines.

I have a friend whose husband is on dissability. She always shops at the Goodwill and places like that. She has found nice fabrics including yardage of Hoffman batiks.

Blog Entries
    Our Goodwill never has any fabric either. Nice find.

I have found some amazing fabric at the second hand stores... I try not to look any more!! I behaved myself the last time I went in to Hancocks and only purchased 1 yard of pumpkin fabric for fall art quilts.... then put the blinders back on!

One of our local thrift stores has the fabric all nicely measured and folded - it's sweet. Lately though I have only seen polyester ickiness but then I don't go there often anymore.

Blog Entries
    Fabric at our thrift stores don't last long LOL it leaves almost as soon as it hits the shelf :D:D:D

np3
    Blog Entries
    We never have it here....

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I find fabric at of our thrift shops. Sometimes I find really nice stuff.

I haven't been to the Goodwill for a while now but the last time I was there I didn't see anything I wanted. The price has gone up on everything. The book area was a total mess and didn't feel like sorting thru them. I use to go there every two weeks looking for fabric, quilting books and notions anything that was crafty.

Nice find!

I seem to find at least one piece of fabric that I can use at the thrift stores when I visit them. I have found some real nice fabrics, sometime I even find enough for the backing on one.

I work at Salvation Army, and we get a TON of fabric in all the time, but no one buys much of it around here. I wish we (employees) were allowed to shop in the store, I would have a HUGE collection!

Blog Entries
    Our Goodwill never has fabric,books or anything connected to quillting & yes, prices have gone up....just like other stores.I was looking at Men's cotton dress shirts & they were $7 each.The only sheets were thin, almost worn thru.Did see a couple nice chenille spreads for like $12.

Have been in cleaner, neater Goodwills....ours has gone to seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    I haven't been to the Goodwill for a while now but the last time I was there I didn't see anything I wanted. The price has gone up on everything. The book area was a total mess and didn't feel like sorting thru them. I use to go there every two weeks looking for fabric, quilting books and notions anything that was crafty.

DBW

I check there and the thrifts all the time. Just have to bethere when it is. Sheets are a steel too! D

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    We never have it here....
    Here too! I don't think many people in the area I live in sew so I never see it here.

I need to start stopping in at ours. I hope I can find buys like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mygirl66
    I work at Salvation Army, and we get a TON of fabric in all the time, but no one buys much of it around here. I wish we (employees) were allowed to shop in the store, I would have a HUGE collection!
    Are you allowed to "proxy shop" for us? You could be our personal shopper. Wow, think of the new revinue stream for your Salvation Army store.

call friends, have them come and buy it for you. no one would have to know but you and your friend, just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by mygirl66

Good for you...Congrats :!:

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I find fabric at of our thrift shops. Sometimes I find really nice stuff.
    Found a 12 yard piece of Christmas cotton for $6 at a thrift store recently.

I look at our Goodwill every time I'm there. It's a hit or miss store. I have found fabric on two of my trips. It is usually hidden in with the sheets, curtains, bedspreads, etc. I love the hunt.

yup thats where I found my stuff. I got a really nice peice of a bright blue batik I havent measured it yet but it is at least 2 yards and not the thin stuff!

Goodwill is always hit or miss... But, it's still the first place I look for fabrics,etc.

Our goodwill is sorta messy. But I look weekly at a thrift store run by the hospice. Have found lots of great jackets there for $5. Fabric is limited, but they have some. It can be hard to find because they have it all rolled up. Definitely no batiks!

Hospice is another place you may want to look for fabrics.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast