Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
goofed up quilt blocks >

goofed up quilt blocks

goofed up quilt blocks

Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 AM

I sew on a boarder and make a bag to use as a gift.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Once I made a quilt out of my "ugly" blocks, and I was surprised at how much I liked it when it was all said and done.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 AM

when i have blocks that do not work in what i am making i find common size and add or cut down and make a baby quilt or lap quilt someone always wants i have had some i though were ugly but not others
Old 09-18-2010, 11:48 AM

The latest craze is "mug rugs." They're simply larger coasters that are big enough for your mug and a couple of cookies.
Other than that, I toss them into my scraps bin and use them up on scrappy quilts or if I need to make a small item.
I have used some to make water bottle cozies.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

You can save them until you have enough for a scrappy quilt.
Add sashings to them, and then trim them all to the same size. Since they are scrappy/different sizes, they won't all be set like in a traditional quilt, but being off set will add to the scrappy charm of the quilt.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM

Do you still put orphan blocks together even if they're all totally different colors and styles? I have some orphan blocks I'd love to put together in a quilt, but whenever I put them next to each other it looks so strange!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by maporch
Do you still put orphan blocks together even if they're all totally different colors and styles? I have some orphan blocks I'd love to put together in a quilt, but whenever I put them next to each other it looks so strange!
Use some of the scraps to make filler parts. I've seen a lot of scrap blocks put together with just sashing and that's okay but it really creates an interesting quilt when you use filler strips of small 9 patches, flying geese, small snowball blocks or even mini versions of the orphan blocks. Doing that can really pull an odd block size scrappy quilt together.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by maporch
Use some of the scraps to make filler parts. I've seen a lot of scrap blocks put together with just sashing and that's okay but it really creates an interesting quilt when you use filler strips of small 9 patches, flying geese, small snowball blocks or even mini versions of the orphan blocks. Doing that can really pull an odd block size scrappy quilt together.
I love that idea! I'll have to pull out my orphan blocks again and take another look. :)
Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
what does everyone do with quilt blocks that were too small or big or just didn't want to use in quilt. since they are all dif sizes and fabric patterns never know what to use them for. made one purse and one pillow case cover but trying to find something else to do with them.
Put borders on each block to make them all the same size,s quare them all up and then put together for a quilt using a scrappy sashing, it will be really cute ...
Old 09-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Usually I use them to make pockets on my Market 'green' bags. It covers up the store advertising and dresses up shopping day.