Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Goofy Quilter Award Goes To.... >

Goofy Quilter Award Goes To....

Goofy Quilter Award Goes To....

Old 08-14-2014, 02:58 AM

What a great post. I thought I was the only one to make such goof ups. And repeatedly. My sister told me in my beginning stages of quilting I needed to embrace the frog stitch. (rip-it, rip-it, rip-it) Enough said.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Oh Dear!!! Everyone messes up from time to time. Just think about all the times you didn't mess up and be at peace that this time shows you too are human.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Wine, chocolate, a good movie and a ripper will get you a good start on solving that problem.
You don't need to rip that. Just sew the two seams on each side as you were supposed to, then cut right next to the seam stitching that isn't supposed to be there. Cut on the other side of it, too. Your seams will be a mite less, but it really doesn't matter. Your only added time will be the double cutting to get rid of that thread. Faster than ripping it out. And you have to cut it once anyway.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 AM

Oh all that sounds like 'been there, done that' to me! My latest goof was being spectacularly fussy and accurate with a border of HST's and when I sewed the border onto the medallion center square I carefully pinned it, just perfect, made sure all the seams matched up, and basted and sewed it - before realizing I had the medallion piece right-side down and the HST border right side down....

I think if you went back and sewed it all in the right places, 1/4" either side of the center sewn line, you could then cut down the centers and be good to go, with a little fudging
Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 AM

I think I would have to wrestle the Goofy Quilter Award away from you BettyGee. I've made so many dumb mistakes it would take two editions of the Board to list them all. Welcome to the "we're only human" club :-)
Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch View Post
I chained pieced approximately 100 blocks the other afternoon with NO BOBBIN THREAD while watching a movie....just kept pushing those seams under that presser foot! I feel your frustration. I used to think how can ANYONE be so careless as to do that...HA!
OMGoodness! what I wonderful laugh I got from that, Chaney Ranch! .... Been there, done almost all of that... Join the club...

Betty Gee, this has given me a great idea for a conversation session at our quilt guild. NO Quilt Police live there so we're pretty honest with one another. It will be enlightening for sure.

Not only will quilting with a friend keep you in stitches, but those who sew together, grow together. Maybe we can learn from someone else's GOOFY mistakes. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM

I used to have this great nook sewing area in my living room, had an over-sized desk so it could hold a quilt with out it dragging (it was wonderful). I was able to sew in the middle of the night, because the lighting was great. But more than a few times I would get into chaining and FORGET my bobbin thread and I would just keep going and THEN find out all was for not!!!!! So I feel your pain.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 AM

Ahhh doesn't that just call for a good scream? Something I did myself at one time.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 AM

Welcome to my club! I'm always doing things like that! At least you don't have to rip the seams out! Just put them through again! Lemons out of lemonade!🍋🍋🍋
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I just start another crazy quilt! Add few beers to the mix and doesn't look 1/2 bad. Of course the other side doesn't look 1/2 good. Crazy. Shut everything off, walk out of the room, shut the door, have another beer and maybe start over the next day.