Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got a sewing machine question..Please help? >

Got a sewing machine question..Please help?

Got a sewing machine question..Please help?

Old 09-14-2013, 05:34 PM

Default Got a sewing machine question..Please help?

Well I bought a Singer quantum 2623 sewing machine for $20.00..I was so excited..Got it home and it sewed so good...I decided the change the needle but I couldn't get it out...I unscrewed the screw thing that tighten the needle all the way out but still wouldn't come out...I pulled and pulled and it finally did..I was so excited till I went to put another one in and couldn't get it to go in...I think what has happened is the screw thing has broken off in there? Just wonder if it could be fixed? Is there anyway to get the piece out? Thank for any help!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

It can certainly be fixed. If you want to fix it yourself, however, you will have to determine exactly what the problem is.

Do you still have the needle you took out of the machine? I would compare that to a new needle to figure out if part of of the needle broke off in the shaft. It should not have required so much pulling to get the needle out, although maybe it was rusted in?

I would also tilt the machine on its side and take a small, strong flashlight to that area to see if there is rust, if part of the old needle is in there, if the screw has broken off and is stuck in there, etc. It may simply be that there is hardened oil in that area that needs to be cleaned out. What you can do is stuff part of a cotton ball in there and oil the cotton ball with sewing machine oil. Letting the part sit in contact with sewing machine oil for 24 hours or more can help loosen gunk, and then you may be able to use a dental pick (inexpensive at the drugstore) and/or cotton swabs to clean out the entire area.

If the screw has actually broken off, you can probably order a new screw (and maybe the entire needle assembly) from a Singer sewing machine dealership. I usually like ordering parts from this place online:
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...odel-list.aspx
but I do not see your sewing machine model listed. The online place tends to be faster and cheaper than dealerships. It would be worth an email or call to them to find out if they have the part(s) you need.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Is it the piece of the needle stuck in there? Check the length against another needle. Is the needle the right size for the machine? Feel up in the hole with a pin and see if you can feel if there is part of the needle screw still in there. You might have to take it to a machine repair shop if the needle screw is broken.
If you had a tiny dermal drill set you might be able to drill out a broken piece but I wouldn't want to try that myself. You run the risk of ruining the threads for the needle screw. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:12 PM

All the needle came out...Needle clamp screw broke off and the end part of the screw is still lodged inside the needle bar is what it looks like. This looks like the part I need to replace..would it be hard?
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/nee...g-machine.aspx

Last edited by diannemc; 09-14-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: add link
Old 09-14-2013, 06:23 PM

I've never done it, but that looks like a very easy part to replace. There's always someone on this board who can help you with the task! We have lots of do-it-yourself-ers around here!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Power Poster

if you cannot fix it with the advice received in the Main forum, post your question in the Vintage forum... there are some experts who hang out only there
Old 09-15-2013, 04:11 AM

Take it to a sewing machine shop and have it fixed. You might break something trying yourself.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 AM

i have a Brother CS6000i and replacing this part is just the removal of a tiny screw on the back and then replacing the part. I am not fimilar with your machine so not sure if it would be that easy. Just give the machine a good lookover and if you are not comfy with DIY then take it to a repair shop.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Well can't find a screw to remove it. looked everywhere...guess I will take in in...
Old 09-17-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
Take it to a sewing machine shop and have it fixed. You might break something trying yourself.

That's what I would do. It's worth the price to not have to worry about making the situation worse by home repair.