Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grace frame and Janome 1600p

Grace frame and Janome 1600p

Hello.

I am seriously considering buying a grace queen frame and Janome 1600p. Does anyone on here have this set up and do you need the sure stitch to get good results or can you get by without it.

Jan x

Blog Entries
    I had the same set up (it was a Juki instead of Janome) and I have to tell you, I didn't like it. Some people like it just fine and others complain that there's just not enough room when the quilt is rolled up in the harp. They take up a lot of room and take a long time to load onto the frame (altho there are gadgets and ways to make this easier) and there is a bigger learning curve than you'd think. I don't know about the sure stitch.

I'm sure you will get as many opinions about this as there are owners! Best of luck to you!

Blog Entries
    What is your price range?

I bought a used Voyager 17 with stretch Hinterberg frame. They run anywhere from $2,200 to $4,000+ used depending on how lucky you are. The top price is from the Hinterberg website. If you can afford the price range, in my opinion it is a *much* better frame setup than the Grace frame with a Janome 1600p.

My setup did not come with a stitch regulator, and so far that's fine with me. I had quilted on my domestic machine so found it really easy to transition to free-motion frame quilting. You can do meander, loops, and pantographs fairly easily without a stitch regulator. I think a stitch regulator becomes much more important if you want to start doing ruler work. For me, I'm just thrilled that I'm finally able to finish all these quilt tops that have piled up over the years.
    Last edited by Prism99; 02-25-2013 at 06:13 PM.

I have the original Grace frame with Juki on it. just bought the upgraded carriage and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I don't make big quilts. I've way more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

I have a Juki on a Grace frame and love it. I do like having a stitch regulator but quilted for a couple years without it and it worked fine.

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately Long arms in the UK are a ridiculous amount of money. The cheapest I have seen was 8,500 english pounds. That was second hand and way out of my price range. I can get a Janome 1600p, feet and grace queen frame for much much less. I think I may wait for the sure stitch and save up for that at a later date. It is good to know that people have managed to get good results without. If anyone else has any more opinions about this particular set up I would gratefully appreciate the feedback.

Jan x

I started out with a Juki on a superquilter frame, upgraded to an 18" Innova later on the same frame...I love it way better than sit down free motion which I had been doing for a while.I don't have the stitch regulater and do fine.It was a little too pricey for me.

I have a Bernina frame (made by the Grace Company) and I use a standard size sewing machine on it (Bernina 440). My quilting space is very limited but I manage. I've done 4 bed size (double to queen) quilts on it. Granted I can't do large quilting designs, but what I can do satisfies me - mostly meanders or loops.

I use the Grace Start-right queen sized frame with a Juki 2000Qi and LOVE IT! Mine came with a speed control which I do like. Granted it takes up a lot of space in my sewing room but that's okay. I never could gett he hang of machine qyuilting on my regular machine. Like anything, there is a learning curve. But I no longer get puckers and wrinkles, which I understand are mainly "user error". Now if I coudl just get over my fear of marking on my quilts!!
    Face the world with a smile...You never know when someone you meet will need one!"

I have a Janome 1600P on a New Joy Gold frame. the fram is a piece of ..., but love the Janome. I started without the stitch regulator but was never comfortable quilting especially using pantographs. I'm not consistant if how I much the machine and when going long distance I would speed up, get long stitches and the get tiny stitches when having to do intricate patterns. I finally paid the $500. for the quilters cruise control and get even stitches not matter what speed. My sister and I have quilted several quilts with our set up, of course we would love to have bigger and better but it's not in our budget so will keep at it.

I have the gracie frame with a janome 1600p with the regulator. and i love it.
    i cannot do king size quilts and i not even sure a queen size but havent made one
    that big yet.

thankyou so much everyone. My grace queen, Janome 1600p and sure stitch is with nice Mr UPS man who is going to deliver it to me tomorrow. I am so excited. I am really looking forward to getting more quilting done. I love piecing but then get cold feet near the end because of the dread of hand quilting which really causes me a lot of pain. I have been sorting out ufos and writing a list of what I need to do to get each one finished. I really appreciate the feedback everyone has given me.

Jan x

Good luck with your frame and machine. Does the sure stitch regulate the stitch lenght no matter how fast or slow you move the machine?

Blog Entries
    Whatever you do, I recommend you do NOT start out quilting one of your pieced tops. You need to practice, practice, practice first. Find some fabric that has swirls or circles or a design of some kind, and practice following along the designs. This will help you work out tension issues and get the hang of speed, direction, etc. And have fun!!!

Thank you, That is really good advice. I have a couple of panels that people have given me so I am going to have a practice on those first. I managed to get frame set up. Hoping to have a go on machine tomorrow, wind bobins etc and get used to it before I out it on frame and set up sure stitch.

Jan

Congratulation Wardy74! I have a Janome 6500 and believe the 1600p is a strip down version. I really like the 6500 (I have it not on a frame) and have done many quilts on it. Enjoy your quilting set up!
    Anna Quilts

Make sure you can get the stitch regulator for the Janome. Some of the regulators out there aren't compatible. I was going to go with the Grace frame and was thinking of using my Janome 7700 because of the 11" bed and there is no stitch regulator for it because of the digital guts inside, it won't work. Since it didn't make sense without it I decided to scratch that idea and send my quilts out. Good luck.
    Laura

Blog Entries
    You can get a stitch regulator for the Janome 1600, I bought mine from Allbrands. Works great.

I probably bought my regulator from Allbrands also. They do need to be bought matched up to frame and machine. I've wanted to change frames, but I'm not sure the regulator will fit on another frame and can't seem to find anyone who will can or will tell me.

grace frame

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy74 View Post
    Hello.

I am seriously considering buying a grace queen frame and Janome 1600p. Does anyone on here have this set up and do you need the sure stitch to get good results or can you get by without it.

Jan x
    I would consider a differnt machine if I were in yourshoe. I have a pfaff and a grace frame the pfaff and janome are both tin lizze and they a not a good machine they do not stand behind their products. Mine has been in the shop 3/4 of the 2 yrs that I have owned it and back to the factory for 3mos. I was going to try to trade it in on a new one from a different manufacture and they have no trade in value there for I am stuck with this lemon that they will not replace.

Blog Entries
    I have the Grace frame with a Brother PQ-1500S...I didn't get the stitch regulator...mainly because my beloved Brother PC-420 went kaput right before Christmas, so I decided to buy a Janome Horizon 7700...my 1500 is a great work horse of a machine, but is straight stitch only...I loved my 420, and really had to think long and hard whether it was worth putting it in the shop, or putting that money towards the 7700 I had been looking and dreaming about for a while...not to use with the frame, but to fmq with it alone, and also to have other stitch options. I haven't had a chance to even plug in my new 7700, but isn't it great to get so excited when we are able to get a new machine??!! Good luck with your new set up, and let us know how it is all working out for you!!
    K
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I have the Janome 1600P and one of the original Gracie Frames that the new updated carriage will not fit on. I just couldn't stop the machine from skipping stiches and breaking thread (no matter what I did) so I ended up taking the machine off the frame and am using it on the table as a regular sewing machine. I use the frame to pin my quilts... it keeps me from doing it on the floor and it makes for a very even "sandwich" which I can then quilt pucker free. It takes me longer but at least I am quilting, which is more than I was doing before. I just today got an extention table for the machine which will make things even better.
    I will post a list of troubleshooting that Janome sent me that might be helpful to you if you run into any trouble.

Don't be discouraged as you get used to the machine. I have 4 friends who have the same set up and they are happy. I am just not as patient I guess.

Carole

This is the checklist sent by Janome in case of breaking thread and/or skipped stitches.
    Hope it is helpful.

• Take Up Roller rolled in the wrong direction

• Thread, could be old, poor quality etc., try a different brand/spool

• Thread wrapped around the bobbin case latch or behind the bobbin case

• Thread delivery, thread catching as it comes off the spool, either on the spool end itself,

the spool cap etc.

• Thread has wrapped around the 3 hole thread guide

• Needle/thread, size/weight combination incompatible

• Needle inserted incorrectly, not fully up in the shaft or turned the wrong direction

• Machine threaded incorrectly

• Quilt sandwich too tight

• Burr on needle, needle plate, hook or other location on the machine

• Inconsistent or erratic movement of machine

• Be sure that the presser foot is up when threading and down when sewing

• Speed on the machine itself, set too high, it should be in the middle

• The quilt sandwich needs to be level, only the backing is secured with the side

clamps. After the quilt on the take up roller gets larger you will need to adjust the

level from time to time.

• Lower the thread stand to approximately 1” above the spool

Make sure that you use these needles:

Organ Needles HL System (1600P only)

Part Number: HLX5-11

10 needles per package.

Additional Part Numbers:
    Size 9: HLX5-9
    Size 11: HLX5-11
    Size 14: HLX5-14
    Size 16: HLX5-16

Blog Entries
    Carole, here is a link to a recent thread about someone with the Janome 1600P problem on the frame. She did finally solve the difficulties (so don't give up reading too soon!). Might help you if you ever decide to try it on the frame again.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t214081.html

Thank you very much for the link Prism99 - I will get some 110-18 needles and give it a try, it's the only thing I haven't tried yet. I was also having the sewing right to left problems too so maybe this new needle will fix things.
    Thanks again!

Carole

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast