Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace Machine Quilting Frame >

Grace Machine Quilting Frame

Grace Machine Quilting Frame

Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM

Not at all. The Bailey was designed to use any kind of thread. For my practice I have been using the cones I bought at JoAnn for $1 each. When I thought it was the thread, when it was breaking so much, I changed to another brand of spool thread, but that was not the problem. I am able to use any kind of bobbin thread, including some pre-wound bobbins. It uses standard needles, and plastic bobbins. The design was well thought out. I think it was based on the Singers from earlier years.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Thank you. I had read somewhere online that the brand of thread made a difference. As I think back, it was not a Bailey or Juki machine that was being used. Whew!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Scott, Do you have a 6' table or a 10' table? I learned the hard way on my 10' Gracie frame that if the quilt is a bigger size, then the take up rail can sag a little in the middle & cause extra tension where it rubs on the deck in the throat of the machine (because of the long span). When this 1st happened to me I thought it was my machine causing the thread to break or bad thread. I took my new Pfaff machine back to the sewing center & they couldn't find any problems with the machine. I ended up figuring it out & it wasn't the thread or the machine. Each end of my take up rail was at the same height but the sag of the take up rail made the material rub as I got further towards the middle of the table. I have found that a putting a plastic footstool on the table (at one end) to support the "takeup rail" helps. I place the stool on the other end from where I'm starting about 1ft from the end. Of course you have to move the stool to the opposite end when your quilting has worked over to the end where the stool (or support) is located. This relieved the problem of the thread breaking & relieved problem of tension being forced out of adjustment due to the drag. When I use the support it doesn't matter how fast I go. It was a hard trial to learn this & I think if the take up rail could be solid & unbending the problem would go away. I have been meaning to write the Gracie Co about this to see if they have improved the take up rails for the longer tables. They have always been fast to respond & very helpful & I have been meaning to contact them for awhile now about this (I'm bad for not doing that because how do they know there is a problem unless you tell them). If you have a longer table this may help for now. Ultimately I think the take up rail would be better if the 2 pieces that are joined to make the 10' take up rail were joined with a "longer inside connecting piece" for added support or a "one piece" rail was used out of a material less likely to sag in the middle with the weight of a larger quilt. Hope that helps for now to anyone with a 10' table. When I do smaller quilts on my 10' table I don't have the problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 PM

Wow, Pam! Thanks for taking the time to convey all of this.

I don't have have my frame yet. I've ordered the GMQ PRO. It adjusts to crib, queen, and king. Sounds like I may have three breaks in the take up rail as opposed to two ?

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

Scott
Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

i love my Juki machine. and can't wait to get a Gracie frame. Let me know what you think of it.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Hi Scott, My frame can either be set up as a 6' or 10' table but they suggest if you want to do larger quilts to set it up as a 10' & leave it that way as it's not easy to change back & forth. My 10' frame can do King size quilts or smaller & the take up rail has only 2 sections so yours probably will only have 2 also. If I can prevent anyone from the learning struggle I went through...I'd be pleased. Hope it helps!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Hey, I just bought a new Janome 6600p back in the fall and love it. And since buying it I am making about 3 quilts a month and doing a lot of small stippling and wreaths, etc. and now I am really worried I am putting too many hours on my new machine. I am thinking about buying a long arm machine and frame but I am really scared to make such a huge investment because I read reveiws about them and don't know which one is the best.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM

longa, your Janome will stand the test of time. I have a Janome Memory Craft 7000 that is 23 years old this year. I sewed hours on end every day on it and it still sews like the day I got it. I just got a new Pfaff 2056 Performance, my Janome is taking a much deserved rest on the other end of my sewing table.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:58 AM

I bought the same frame and Juki last year and love it - compared to pushing it all through the machine, that is! I'm still having a problem with random long stitches appearing, especially on the first row of quilting, and even with a phone call to Gracie, haven't quite figured out my problem. Assembly of the frame is a real trip - be patient! Good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 AM

stitch length is going to vary according to how fast you move the machine.

Slow movements give a more even stitch....fast caused the stitch to lengthen. When you are going too fast, the thread will break!

Slow and Steady.....like the turtle!