Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace Speed Control vs Sure Stitch Stitch Regulator >

Grace Speed Control vs Sure Stitch Stitch Regulator

Grace Speed Control vs Sure Stitch Stitch Regulator

Old 10-06-2022, 02:41 AM

Question Grace Speed Control vs Sure Stitch Stitch Regulator

I have a brother 1500S which does not have speed control. For me, that's fine for piecing, but when I comes to quilting it becomes a problem. As I'm wrangling with the quilt on the table and through the throat, I tend to shift my weight around and my speed goes up and down a little erratically, which results in uneven stitches. This problem does not exist when I'm doing smal samples/practice pieces since there's a whole lot less weight and bulk to deal with; I can move my arms smoothly at the proper speed with no issue.

That said, I decided to purchase a speed control by Grace company to try and help myself a little bit. I do not quilt on a frame, but just the speed control should be the solution I need to get things as nice as I can get them.

Problem is, I was sent a Sure Stitch Stitch Regulator, not just the speed control. That's a bit of an expensive mistake on the seller's part, but I don't necessarily mind. I do plan on moving to a frame in the future (maybe next year? just remodeled my kitchen, the budget needs some breathing room still) so the regulation will be useful then, but not yet.

My question is this: Can I use the Sure Stitch as just a regulator and can I use it off the frame on my domestic? Or should I send it back?
Old 10-06-2022, 05:32 AM

The Sure Stitch Regulator that you bought is designed to be used on a frame and won't work if not on a frame. It has encoders that need to sit on the rails of the frame. I don't think the Speed Control will work without being on a frame either. You might try turning your foot pedal backwards and then "put the peddle to the meddle" as it will give you a more consistant speed when FMQing. One other thing about the Grace Stitch Regulators and Speed Control is that they don't work on all machines, example is the Jazz II machine will work with the Elite stitch regulator but not the Sure Stitch Regulator, I would call the Grace Company support team and double check compatiblity.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:52 AM

I bought a speed control, I think from Grace (have to ck the box), and had to specify the machine for it to be compatible. It plugs into the port that is used by the foot control and has a dial for speed setting , as well as a start/stop button. It does not require your machine to be on a frame, but comes with Velcro strap that attaches the control directly to your machine. I never got adept at the stopping & starting button and only used it a short time before getting a frame, machine w/stitch regulator. The stitch regulator works with rails…I LOVE it. My speed control languishes in a drawer!