Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grain of fabric vs pattern on fabric! >

Grain of fabric vs pattern on fabric!

Grain of fabric vs pattern on fabric!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by marjben View Post
Thanks for replying Peggi, I may have made a mistake in using the word grain.

I fold the fabric salvage to salvage, adjust a bit right or left to get a nice straight hang, match my bottom fold to a line on my cutting mat, make my cut to have a straight edge to measure from. Ok, now my straight edge and the line of my pattern on the fabric are a 1/4 or better from each other on one end of the fabric but line up nicely on the other end.
I hope I explained it better!?!
From your description it sound like it may just be how it was cut off the bolt. I do the same thing, folding selvage to selvage and it's pretty common that they are "off" by and inch or so. Some might be the way it was printed but it could also be how it was wound on the bolt. Like Peckish, I don't worry so much about the grain if I'm trying to match up something, I just try to take a little extra time and be careful not to pull on the bias...and I starch the heck out of it!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 AM

I would tear one edge. This will give you straight of grain. If the design is still off, it was printed that way and has nothing to do with your pressing.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:01 PM

I had this happen to me. The fabric was printed off grain but I didn't know that when I bought it. It was a panel fabric with rhombuses instead of squares. I didn't know that until I cut the "squares" out. So, I went to different shops and bought the same fabric...three times! Well, finally someone explained to me that all the bolts in that line would be printed off grain. How silly if me to not figure that out. I loved that fabric. So, I just added extra coordinating fabric to square the rhombus up...and I made that fabric into three quilts.

So, for me, it was important to focus on the design and deal with the off grain issue with either starch or adding extra fabric to square it up. Othewise, the design on the fabric would have been chopped up and that would have ruined the quilt.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Yes I have found the same problem, not printed square. The grain doesn't matter because of all the quilting. It doesn't 'hang' as it would as a dress or other clothing.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:55 PM

Even though I’ve posted other pics without a problem, I can’t get these to upload so can’t show my problem....
I’ll keep trying though
Old 01-29-2018, 06:09 PM

cut Straight on right side
Attached Thumbnails 18529bef-7b97-4ff0-80fd-e0bf7c771d2b.jpeg  
Old 01-29-2018, 06:22 PM

I cannot get the cut straight on pattern, off on ruler grid pic to load!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM

What I would do....Follow the pattern on this one but starch it really well before carefully cutting....no steam since that may distort... Any wonky alignment issues on edge should be absorbed in seam allowance. Also, attempt to not stretch fabric when piecing and sewing....keep it stiff and if you have to make pieces a bit bigger, you can just trim your piecing as you go. I've done that on bias piecing and it works for me. Takes longer but end result is better.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:55 AM

This is why I avoid fabric with an obvious stripe or pattern line. It is rarely printed straight on the fabric. If I'm using smaller pieces I go with the print rather than the grain. I would never use a stripe going lengthwise for a border for this reason.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:12 AM

From your photo I'm going to suggest it is definitely printed off-grain. Unless you are using this for a long border I would not worry about grain with this particular fabric and cut with the design. AND use lots of starch!