Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Grandmothers flower garden help

Grandmothers flower garden help

Does anyone know a site or off hand how many flowers it takes for a king, queen, double, or even throw. My hex's are 1" and i will only have one row of plain between flowers. TIA
    Last edited by Leah Stewart; 07-31-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: forgot word in title

I have no idea how many flowers it will take, but bless your heart for going after it, 1 inch hex's? Wow...

Blog Entries
    I'd guess about 10,000,000. If king size is 90x90 for example you would need 8100 (UGH) hexagons

This should help (or scare you to death -- lol) on how many you'll need to make:
    http://www.texasfreckles.com/2010/03...ece-along.html

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Stewart View Post
    Does anyone know a site or off hand how many flowers it takes for a king, queen, double, or even throw. My hex's are 1" and i will only have one row of plain between flowers. TIA
    Here is a site you can go to which might help with the Grandmother's Flower Garden. You can even print out what you need.
    Kat

My jaw just dropped through the floor, lol. Yeah, i think i jjust got scared to death. I have 19 doubles sewn and i have fifty five ziplock bags that holds enough for one flower so total i have 74 flowers. I thought that was a lot, but i stand corrected, lol. I throw sounds lovely :-)

Hello fellow Lakelandian!! I am so impressed! I am SOMEDAY planning GFG, but luckily it seems that other obligations keep me from getting started. Are you piecing by machine or hand....paper piecing??? I have never paper pieced and when I get to making mine someday, I want to use the Hickory Nut templates I bought from Hickory Hill Quilts. This way it can be an on the road and hand work project, as well as quilt as you go!

Yay, i love it when i find someone from my city on this site :-) I have been doing the GFG for about two years now so i by no means have been working on this steadily. I actually drew the hexagon shape on my four year old old coloring book and used the scraps from my mother in law (she makes welding caps with lots of fussy cuts) so everything is reused/recycled. It is done by hand, i have a bag by the door that i take everywhere in case my kids let me have some down time to work on it, but as you can tell, 19 in two years i haven't had that much time. And of course lots of other projects have slowed me down. Lol

Leah I love the hexagon projects, they just go anywhere as a "Drag Along" project. I have made the flowers (either three or four rows around - counting the center one) and then appliqued them onto a 8" or 10" square. Goes so much quicker, looks lovely and it takes 110 squares for a queen sized bed. Sometimes I applique the flowers onto the square, or if for a child, I use my machine to button-hole-stitch them onto the block. Instead of using the paper patterns, check out "Brandi's" and order the reusable templates from her. You can starch and press over the template and then when cool, remove them by cutting the stitches. I do the whole flower before starching and removing the templates.

Good luck and have fun. Consider fussy-cutting some of the pieces, especially for the center one.

WOW 1" hex? I don't think I could even HOLD something that small to stitch it! My hat is off to you. My eyes are crossing just thinking about it.

I am working on-off on 1" hexs. This is meant to be a super long project - I told my little boy it will be ready when I am a grandmother, thus the name!

One question:
    I have not decided on my layout. I've seen some GFG with "shared" paths (usually white) separating the flowers, and some with each flower having it is own path, and a row of diamonds (usually in green or blue) between them.
    My question is, are the diamonds done by EPP? Or the flowers/paths are appliqued onto a green/blue background fabric?

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Will your flowerets have a row of two or three! Have you grafted the pattern out? I suggest these two decicions are a must for the size you wish to complete. Good luck.
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    What an undertaking! Good luck with that and in Olympic spirit...Go for the Gold!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Blog Entries
    I'm doing one now too! So much fun!

I've been working on one that I call a Super Queen. I basted my first hex near the end of May 2011. Getting close to doneish The end is in sight anyway. Almost 6,000 one inch hexies, hand basted around card stock hexies, hand whip stiched together. I MIGHT be done in time to send it to the LA in time to give it to my brother for Christmas. It will be a push but MAYBE.

I will be calling it "Not your Grandmother's Flower Garden". Mine is four colours of flowers - pink, yellow, green and blue with a black centre, pastel colour for the first row and then the same colour in a jewel tone around the pastel. The pathway is in the same black as the centre. I have LOVED doing it and am looking for another hand project to do when this one is done. I even took hexies with me when I went to Jamaica and sewed up 12 flowers with their pathway while I was there.

I haven't posted a photo of it here in a while. Maybe it's time to again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Chride View Post
    I haven't posted a photo of it here in a while. Maybe it's time to again.
    Picture please!

All right, twist that rubber arm. Today is a nice enough day that I can get a good sunny (and DRY!) photo. There isn't enough room anywhere inside my house to spread out the quilt and then get high enough to get a photo.

I just checked my "map" and you can see at the bottom of the photo where there is a row with only three flowers on it. The plan is to finish that row of flowers and then add on three more full rows of flowers and then a row of half flowers on the bottom to finish. I still have the half row and about one and a half full rows of flowers worth of hexies to baste. I just have to finish sewing and attaching flowers in order to get the cardstock hexies out and reuse.

Hopefully this works....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! That's a cool and groovy GFG! I've never seen one with black paths!
    I'm still deciding what color my paths should be. White is safe and goes with anything. Jade green is cool and calming.
    Mine is a scrappy one, so white seems to be the safest bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Chride View Post
    All right, twist that rubber arm. Today is a nice enough day that I can get a good sunny (and DRY!) photo. There isn't enough room anywhere inside my house to spread out the quilt and then get high enough to get a photo.

I just checked my "map" and you can see at the bottom of the photo where there is a row with only three flowers on it. The plan is to finish that row of flowers and then add on three more full rows of flowers and then a row of half flowers on the bottom to finish. I still have the half row and about one and a half full rows of flowers worth of hexies to baste. I just have to finish sewing and attaching flowers in order to get the cardstock hexies out and reuse.

Hopefully this works....

What size will this be? Do you remember what yardage you used for each color?? My DD loves this one!!

That is a beautiful GFG! I am also putting a black path for mine, maybe a dark brown, i haven't decided yet. I like the layout in the picture with the shared paths. I think when the diamonds are done they are EPP. I am not sure of that. I have not drawn up the pattern because i simply dont know how. I just was thinking make X amount of flowers then make it X" x X" then done, simpler in my head. Lol.