Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandpa's Bridges with or without orange?? >

Grandpa's Bridges with or without orange??

Grandpa's Bridges with or without orange??

Old 07-26-2016, 04:09 AM

One more thought--a dark green or dark red/brown?? I like the dark framing strips and the mauve as it makes the piece somewhat monochromatic. Green would go with the nature structures in the blocks. You've done so much work on the piano keys but I think they detract from the beautiful bridges.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I like the last row picture the best. I wanted to see more of the rock fabric, really goes with the bridges.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I would DEFINITELY keep the orange, however, I would turn it into piping or 1/4" sashing around the embroidery/inked pieces to draw more attention to them and provide a nice bright frame & break between the dullness of the bridges & the dullness of the rest of the quilt. Color is very powerful. It can enhance or detract depending on how it is used. I always think the most attractive quilts are the ones that use just a bit of color in the right places to help draw the viewer's eye to what's most important.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554659[/ATTACH]
Love this option - it really showcases your wonderful embroidery!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 AM

It appears there is orange in the designs so orange wherever you put it would compliment the whole. I think a splash of color would make this lovely quilt much more interesting....
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all you feedback on this quilt, the orange does look good, but I do have the 12 blocks all ready bordered.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by buddy'smom View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all you feedback on this quilt, the orange does look good, but I do have the 12 blocks all ready bordered.
You could always couch a orange yarn or ribbon around the blocks & then you wouldn't need to remove any of the sashing. All you need is whatever kind of yarn or thin ribbon you like plus either mono thread or thread that's a matching color & fiber to the yarn/ribbon. You do a zigzag stitch to tack it down (unless you have one of those fancy couching feet that tacks it down with a straight stitch).
Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM

I like all of them, just the way they are.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Have you thought about using a bright or soft turquoise with it instead of orange and add the turq. in a flange border? I think the orange takes away from the beautiful bridges. If you go with the orange us it in a flange border with brown.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:50 AM

Bree, you are full of great ideas! Maybe some green or red satin cording would frame the bridges nicely.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buddy'smom View Post
While it seems daunting, it really wouldn't take that long to rip out the border strips on only 12 blocks and insert the orange. You could do it in a couple of hours. and it appears you have enough room on your blocks you could trim them the necessary amount (haven't done the math, maybe 1/2" or 3/4") so you could reuse your border strips if you don't have additional fabric. Another option is you could make narrow bias strips like you would for applique and applique them in place.

Or you could audition the narrow strip of orange on the outside of your already bordered blocks. That might look nice as well.

I am of the opinion that you have a lot of work into the hand embroidery and I know first hand what beautiful work you do, having the pleasure of seeing it in person. I think those blocks deserve the little bit of extra effort involved in ripping off the existing sashing and inserting the narrow flange or strip of orange or doing it via applique. But that is JMHO.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-27-2016 at 06:30 AM.