Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Gravity Feed Iron, anyone?

Gravity Feed Iron, anyone?

I tried to search old threads for this topic because I'm sure it's been discussed before. Several threads did come up, but when I tried to look at them, none of the individual messages showed up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe the threads were too old?

At any rate, I'm about determined I'm going to try a gravity feed iron when my latest cheapo finally dies. Its days are numbered, I'm sure, so I'm trying to do my homework. If anyone has recommendations on current models you actually use, what you like and dislike about it, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

I bought one a few years ago. I had gone through many steam generators costing $100 and up each. I bought a gravity feed iron for around $100 and it's lasted years. I LOVE it! Lots and lots of steam. It holds a gallon of water. You have to hang it above your ironing surface so it's not a "portable" iron. It's heavy too, but you get used to the weight.

Thanks, Janey.

bkay

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much for these "hints"! The arrow doesn't work for me so will try the F5!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I purchased a Panasonic cordless iron in November and really love it. No cords to get in the way and when I put the iron down, I am not turning my wrist up as done with a regular iron. I have hand issues and found that the cordless iron has made my life much more bearable when ironing. I will never go back to a corded iron again. Good luck on finding your perfect iron.
    Donnamarie

Janey, thanks for the search tips. I will try that!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)