Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great Needles! >

Great Needles!

Great Needles!

Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sallyjane
What a fun piece of information! Here is what I've done with my tomato pincushion; with a fine point sharpie pen I've labeled each "section" of my tomato with what type of sewing machine needle it holds. I have a section for quilting, denim, universal, sharp, ballpoint..... Sure makes it easier to find the right, slightly used sewing machine needle.
Me, too!! Works great!!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Oh dear. I've never particularly liked those tomato pincushions but am afraid I may now have to own a used one. Just think of all those great needles inside. The very idea is thrilling!

My Janome dealer sells me the Organ needles for my machine and tells me they have fewer problems with them. Being a believer, I buy, and have no problems.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 PM

I got one at a garage sale for 50 cents. It had several nice pins stuck in it but when I got home I began to find needles and since I didn't really need another pincushion, I cut into it and I found about 50 needles inside . all in good condition. Since I usually loose needles down inside, I most generally put them in sideways with both ends out. that way they don't get pushed down inside.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Interesting! Yesterday I found my mom's - or maybe grandma's - stashed in with some fabrics I looked through. I just went and got it ... pressed down (not much give) but one needle did come through. Does yours have the little berry attached for sharpening the needles? At least that's what I think it's for.
DI
Old 05-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Yes, that little berry is to sharpen needles- Most of them contain emery.

Evelyn
Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 PM

I have never thought about it. Learned something new today. Where do you find Japanese needles? I only find ones made in England. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM

I used to do that with my mom's and gramma's pincushion's. I thought it was great fun. I did not cut them open though. I just squeezed and rolled and manipulated all the needles out. Hers had the little sharpener berry on it, so I also ran them through it a few times for mom.