Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great Round Robin Patterns anyone?? >

Great Round Robin Patterns anyone??

Great Round Robin Patterns anyone??

Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Our guild is thinking about doing a Round Robin for a 6 month period. We need a pattern that has 5 easy rounds as our Guild has many new quilters. Any suggestions? We don't have alot
of ladies that applique so that might not be a good one. For any
of those ladies, I'm thinking of having those ladies start their own
with an appliqued block. Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM

In the Round Robins I have participated in...each person makes their own center and the following months a border of the makers choosing is added. The owner of the center can ask for things in their quilt for example to make the quilt small or large, color preferences. Also type Round Robin in the search bar all kinds of things come up.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM

I too have done several round robins in which everyone makes their own center and then each person adds whatever border they choose. You can have some rules, like how wide each added border should be, or the size of the center should be. You can set the rules and have a great time!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM
bj

Did you see DawnMarie's post on her round robin. They are each doing their own borders, but each one has to contain a particular element, like triangle or applique'. Hers is beautiful. :D
Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM

I've also participated in round robins where each member creates her own center and then the others add the borders, sometimes following a theme and sometimes not. They are really fun and you get some beautiful quilts.

However, we've found that a Row Robin is an easier project. The first person makes a row with whatever blocks, colors, theme, etc. she chooses. (In last year's Row Robin some members had themes like cat blocks, house/tree blocks, stars, and wildflowers. Others had particular color preferences.) Then everyone else adds a row following the originators wishes. The best thing about making rows is that much of the math is eliminated. The row each person makes will only be as wide as the first row, with the same number of blocks. And the height of the row will be the same or at least proportional to the first row. So there's much less math to work out than when you have to add a complete border all the way around.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks ladies...all of those sound great!!! I was thinking of
after that main block, a block of 1/2 sq triangles, then one of flying geese, then one of sewers choice and the last one of a border we learned at a class. Thanks all!!!!