Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grrr Tension issues and solution >

Grrr Tension issues and solution

Grrr Tension issues and solution

Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Hmm, so glad you told about that...I had no idea! My techie did tell me when I bought the machine to ALWAYS cut the thread and then pull it out frontwards...not backwards. Maybe that has helped me to not have the problem? He said pulling it backwards "shaves" the thread and can leave junk in the case that will cause me problems down the road...Thanks for sharing your problem...I learn something all the time!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
I am mechanically challenged and if I have a tension issue (not a headache, on my sewing machine), an automatic meltdown occurs. It is always my hope that DH or the "tension fairy" is available to fix everything immediately.

Regardless, I'm glad you solved your problem and understand your frustration!

Joan
I meltdown too, Joan, so I know your frustration. My sewing machine and computer have the same effect on me--I LOVE them when they are working right---and HATE them when they are not!!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 AM

GRRR! I HATE it when these kind of things happen! I'm glad you got it fixed!!!

I have a machine that gives me problems with three threads coming up out of the bobbin area and that stops the fabric from feeding. It ends up messing up the fabric and usually tearing a hole if I don't catch it in time. I had this machine torn apart. I mean, I had every screw out that would come out. All the platic cover was off...Yes, I did manage to get it all back together, but my hubby had to "fix" something for me that I didn't do or didn't do the right way. I have cleaned this machine beyond clean! The last time I tried it out, it sewed for an entire 6 inches. I turned it off and left it. I haven't touched it since. This was my back-up machine....bad choice for a back-up. I have since gotten a different back-up, but, you know, it did the same darn thing!?!~ I really gave it a good cleaning, and it seemed fine after that.

I have used the sweeper on my machines. I have not used the canned air, but I have heard really good things about it.

I have a paintbrush that I keep in my sewing supplies that I used to brush out the bobbin area and everywhere it will reach down there in the lower part of the machine. It really gets a lot of lint and fuzz stuck to it because it has gotten machine oil on it, which makes the fuzz stick better.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I had the same problem with my old Bernina Record (830). I went along for almost thirty years without a problem whatsoever. Then tension problems. I worked and worked at it and still it is sitting in the spare closet, frustration made me buy another machine.

I should pull it out and work at it some more. I loved that old machine and it was hard to retire it to the closet.

Hubby bought me a janome for christmas a year ago and it is a good little machine. I bought all the feet for it and some other extras. But, it wasn't a bernina.

So, you guessed it, I found a newer bernina artistia 180 with so many extras included, that I couldn't turn it down. Just a month ago. I just took it to the quilt store dealer to have it cleaned and checked out. I had cleaned it and fiddled with the computer tension balancing. No help, the tension was acting up. The tech said NEVER USE CHEAP COATS AND CLARK thread. It may save you money at the time, but, you will pay in the long run with problems like this.

I am going to throw every one of those coats and clarks away. I bet that was the only thing wrong with the Bernina Record. Oh well, live and learn. And it is nice to have the ability to use the embrodery module now.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 AM

This sounds like a great idea (cost excluded) to get rid of lots of stress when your machine goes wacky!!!