Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guess I've joined the 'club'

Blog Entries

Unhappy Guess I've joined the 'club'

I just sewed through my finger- ouch. At least I missed the nail and didn't bleed all over the quilt, the most important thing! LOL. Guess I'll stay away from the machine for a day or so. That's what I get for hurrying.

Blog Entries
    Ooooo, so sorry. Hope your finger heals fast. Do you need a tetnus shot?

Blog Entries
    heheheh welcome to the club we have missed you. lol I did that in 1971 and then 2012 at age of 56. I guess some of us never learn.
    Mine on both went throught the nail. did not bleed much but ohgosh hurt for day.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

So sorry you had to join our club. Hope your finger is better soon. You are right, not bleeding on the quilt is important
    Is your Tetanus shot up to date (old ER nurse here)
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

OUCH! Sorry for you.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Golly, I can't imagine sewing thru my finger! I feel sorry for you. Take care.

Blog Entries
    I was working on a silk organza wedding dress when I really did it. Darn Elna will sew through anything so the needle was embedded far into the bone. Everyone was asleep, so I had to work the needle out with my other hand and wake my husband up with a needle on one side and a pair of pliers on the other. Soak your finger in warm soapy water twice a day. Works wonders.

I've sewn through a little skin since taking up quilting, but no more bones, thank goodness.

Power Poster
    OUCH! It sure makes you realize the power behind a simple sewing machine doesn't it?

It's not really a club we want to join but at one time or another most of us do. Mine got the nail too. hope your finger heals quickly so you don't go through sewing withdrawals. that's the worst part.

Blog Entries
    That's one of those things in my 50+ years of sewing that I've never done. And now I hope I haven't jinxed myself!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Oh geez! I am so sorry. I have worried about that. I even wondered if you would be stuck at the machine and not be able to get to a phone to call anyone!

Wait til it happens with a LA....now there's a real buzz!!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    That could of been me yesterday it did hit the bone and broke the needle still can't find the needle tip but will keep an eye on my finger thanks for the tip on soaking in warm soapy water never thought of that

A sewing machine needle went through my index finger one day while I was sewing as a teenager. My mom took me to the family doctor who took a look at it and said it will be ok. No tetanus shot. That was MANY years ago. A piece of thread had been caught underneath the nail so it was interesting to see that darn thread travel up the nail as it grew out!

I must have jerked when the needle went into my fingernail, as I couldn't find the tip anywhere. An x-ray showed it was in the finger, and I had a doctor cut it out. The shots to deaden the finger just about did me in, and I have a high tolerance for pain. Sorry you joined our club!!

Linda

That is an ongoing fear I have...Were you doing free motion quilting? I can see that happening really easily while doing that kind of sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I just sewed through my finger- ouch. At least I missed the nail and didn't bleed all over the quilt, the most important thing! LOL. Guess I'll stay away from the machine for a day or so. That's what I get for hurrying.

LOL, did that in the 70's while making clothes for the kids. Right thru the middle of my index finger, home alone, stuck to machine. Gritted teeth and slowly pulled finger off needle. Cried like a baby because it scared me soo much!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

"knock" on wood, I have never done that, I hope your finger feels better quickly.
    Amythyst

Aww so sorry to hear that you are now one of us! Soaking is a good suggestion, and yes, making sure your shots are current. Mine took weeks to stop hurting, guess it was a nerve ending kind of thing. Hope you heal quickly and are back at the machine soon!! Hugsssss
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Should we just close membership in the club so no one else needs to suffer our pain? Done that, been there, really we don't need more company. Heal quickly!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
    That is an ongoing fear I have...Were you doing free motion quilting? I can see that happening really easily while doing that kind of sewing.
    With free motion quilting, your hands are a good distance from the needle. It is piecing and keeping your 1/4" seems when your hand is real close to the needle.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Pray I never have to honor of joining your club.....pray, pray, pray.

I use to wonder how anyone could sew through a finger. The other day I found out by a close call. Luckily it missed but now I know how it can happen and will take care that it NEVER happens to me lol
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Blog Entries
    I am going back to my quilting this afternoon with a bandaid on my finger I really have to get these quilts done and yes I was free motion working with my Bernina with the stitch regulator no foot pedal so had to use the off button to get it stoppeed but I did get my hand out of the way before it hit me the second time anyway I am going to soak it and keep an eye on it until Mon. feel like an idiot going to the ER to have them exray my finger

Quote Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
    I see that every time I see a video of FMQing. It seems the quilting gloves could get caught up somehow, too..Really have to be careful at all times, no matter what we'er doing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast