Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess what I found?

I was at my local grocer's today, picking up Thanksgiving and saw: FLOUR IN REAL FLOUR SACKS! Sweet florals just like the ones my mom bought in the fifties! About $3 more than the paper sacks. If I had a place to store 25 lbs, I might have bought a bag. Maybe after Christmas I'll indulge, just for the memory.

Blog Entries
    I have found rice and beans in these sacks too... I could NEVER eat that many beans or rice in a year LOL

Wow...wondering if they're be doing this or is this just for the holidays?

Blog Entries
    cool, will need to look for them, would be fun to get them and share with others

Blog Entries
    If I see them I will get them. I have tins from popcorn gifts. They will work to hold dry goods.

Thanks for the heads-up. The only big food store around here is GIANT.

which stores did you see them in? Wish I could find something like that down here in south MS.

Blog Entries
    I think alot of people are stocking up because they keep telling us we are going to have a real shortage of food next year due to crop failings worldwide. Suddenly all of our stores are stocking 25-50# bags of flour, rice, beans, etc. I have not seen any in cotton bags yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    I was at my local grocer's today, picking up Thanksgiving and saw: FLOUR IN REAL FLOUR SACKS! Sweet florals just like the ones my mom bought in the fifties! About $3 more than the paper sacks. If I had a place to store 25 lbs, I might have bought a bag. Maybe after Christmas I'll indulge, just for the memory.
    You could bake a bunch of Christmas cookies - or better yet, get a recipe for cookies or cake - put ingredients in a basket as a Christmas Present?

Blog Entries
    Start making your own bread. It's easy and cost about .25 or less a loaf. There is a great no knead bread recipe from a bread chef called No Knead Bread (ha) Google it, it's some pretty darn good bread to be no work. I use my bread machine every day. I go through flour fast so I hope I see these sacks.

I make my own bread and I have a 25 lb bag now but it's not the fabric one. I wish I knew...anyway, even if we stock up rice, beans, flour because of coming shortages....weebles will get in the stuff....it happen to my rice all the time. I think the egge come with the rice and just hatch later....

You store those types of things in buckets. You can find food grade buckets at restaurants, delis, bakeries, etc. Or you can buy the mylar bags & line the buckets with them. We've used the Homer buckets you get at Home Depot before. If you put your sack of flour or whatever down in your freezer for a day or two, it will kill whatever bugs or eggs happen to be there.

Wow, I would LOVE to find those bags too!

Blog Entries
    What store did you see them in?

think bean bags for kids games. That would take up some beans. Also daycares use them for many things.

Hmmm...I wonder if I could donate some rice and beans to a food pantry? I get some and the sack and they get some... ;-)

My 1st MIL stored flour and sugar in barrels!!! This is the first time I've believed she had a good idea!! LOL Wow -- I hope to find some!

That's great but not practical in Florida. In the summer we are plagued with those teeny black bugs that get into anything like flour, cereal and crackers. Everything must be in a seal proof container. That's why Tupperware did so well here.

what do they look like, the sacks? WE cleaned out the OLD family home last weekend and I found two, what looked like pillow casesbut were sewen on the wrong side. Looked like sheets with the finished edge and border and then scattered flowers thoughout the rest of the material. We also found 4 dresses from the 30-40's in great condition. I washed them and one ended up with a couple of holes in them. One still had the tag on it it. The waist was soooooo tiny. I also found a quilt top that was in the great, great grandmothers trunk, only one piece had holes and wll need tobe replaced. All hand sewen and very scrappy. I will have to take a picture and post it one day.

Ladies,
    I wish i could be so fortunate as to have found those sacks. THere are so many agencies that can use that flour. Find one and put that flour in a plastic container and keep the material.
    My first sewing lesson was a shift made from a sack. Thanks for bring back such an awesome memory.
    I love all you ladies.
    Dianne R

That's what I thought...local missions and homeless shelters would probably be happy to have any of the staples that come in sacks. Tink's Mom is spot on...keep some for yourself, enjoy the fabric and donate the rest. Everybody wins!

if I had seen them, I would have bought at least one. Transfer the flour (beans or rice) to smaller sacks and freeze them. They will be fine ove a year. Who was the manufacturer who offered the sacks?

Blog Entries
    How about a share club? Divide the flour into apx. 5 lb. 1 gallon plastic freezer storage bag. Divide the pounds in the bag by 5 to get the number of "divides". Divide the price by 5, then subtract some cost from 4 of them, say use the regular price for a 5 lb bag (after all you get to keep the cloth bag.) What store carries them. Would love to buy one and share with my daughter's and friends.

Blog Entries
    I sure hope I can find some,I buy in large size quanities.

Blog Entries
    WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! I hope they do that here in Maine also!!!! I make my own bread so I could use the flour no problem.!

I keep all flour, oatmeal, any grain type food in my freezer, always have and it doesn't affect it at all. I started doing this about 30 years ago when I opened a sealed storage can and it was buggy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast