Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Door Prizes >

Guild Door Prizes

Guild Door Prizes

Old 11-13-2022, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Default Guild Door Prizes

I'm in charge of door prizes for next year's guild meetings. I have budget of $20 per meeting. Anyone have any ideas of some unexpected and fun door prizes? I have time to make items too.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:19 AM

Cord wraps are easy to make, and quilters appreciate them. https://hellosewing.com/diy-cord-keeper-wrap/

General's Charcoal White marking pencils are awesome. They're my favorite marking tool. https://www.amazon.com/Generals-Char...s%2C150&sr=8-6

Scissor fobs. You can put your own stickers on some of them. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=retractab...cceptance_1_12

Lanyards that you can make or purchase and decorate. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lanyards+...nker-1hour_6_8
Old 11-13-2022, 08:25 AM

What about going to Hobby Lobby when hey have their quilting notions on sale? I know they have a lot of cute little sewing bobs there. My granddaughter got me a pincushion that looks like a tube of lipstick. And a key bob in the shape of a sewing machine.

Last edited by laurilli; 11-13-2022 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add to info.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:42 AM

I bought the Block magazines when they were on sale for door prizes. I wrapped in a clear cellophane bag so they could choose the issue. They were a hit!
Old 11-13-2022, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Is this a prize that everyone gets for showing up, or is there a drawing to see who gets a prize? How many prizes do you need for each meeting?

At my guild, everyone brings in a sewing-related gift in her birthday month. (Yes, it's backwards. The birthday lady gives the gift, and also brings in something for the snacks table. It's a large guild, so there are several birthdays in any given month.) Members of the guild sign their name on a paper ticket when they arrive for the meeting. Then at the end of the meeting, a ticket is drawn for each "birthday gift". The gifts are supposed to be in the range of $20-25, which I think is too high for some of the guild members. I'm not advocating this approach, just relating how one guild handles door prizes.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I think you can’t go wrong with things quilters can use like fat quarters, threads, Wonder clips etc.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

We have a average of 40 at each meeting. Way down post covid. I can give as many door prizes as I like if I get a lot of donated gifts. If I buy them my budget is $20 per meeting so the more donated items the more I have per prize when I do buy.The last person in charge didn't spend anything on door prizes and boasted she only used donated item. Sadly most donated gifts are junk and I have seen many winners drop the gifts in the trash on the way out. I want to prevent that on my watch. Also I think presentation is important. Nice reusable gift bags is my priority too.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sadly most donated gifts are junk and I have seen many winners drop the gifts in the trash on the way out. I want to prevent that on my watch. Also I think presentation is important. Nice reusable gift bags is my priority too.
I have also seen that "junk" gifts issue in other hobby clubs... I love regifting, but make sure it's still gift-worthy! Your idea of reusable gift bags is also a good one. During the pandemic, I made some very basic reusable gift bags (pieced blocks outside, broadcloth lining, no batting, tied with a ribbon around the neck of the bag) out of some orphan blocks and in one case got more appreciation for the bag than for the gift inside! Maybe even something like that would make a good door prize...
Old 11-14-2022, 02:53 AM

I think quilted vinyl decals for your car or anywhere would be a "fun and unexpected door prize".

https://fiberflies-gifts.myshopify.c...s/vinyl-decals
Old 11-14-2022, 03:26 AM

Seam rippers are always needed.