Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 05-27-2015, 12:07 AM

Default Guilds

I was wondering, for those who are in a guild or two, why did you join your guild?

What would make you quit going to the guild you belong to?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

Lots of reasons to belong to the guild; community projects, group projects, nationally known teachers, workshops, trunk shows, guild quilt show, show & tell, inspiration, help, friendships with people who share your interests, the list goes on & on...
Reason to not go anymore....
Our guild meets at 7 pm once a month, I have to be at work at 6:30 pm..... Bumber
Old 05-27-2015, 02:26 AM

the reason Idon't go to one is I no longer drive at night and it starts at 7pm so Ijoined one that is held in the day time
Old 05-27-2015, 02:29 AM

You need to be involved in a guild to get the most from it. Meetings are good, but getting involved gives you access to lots of quilt knowledge. Quilters are good caring and sharing group.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:28 AM

I joined a guild to learn more about quilting. I am a raw newbie. I wanted to learn tips, techniques, history. I want to do something that gave back to the community. I wanted to be with like minded people and have fun and make new friends.

The reason I asked this question is to see what people look for in a guild. As far as what would make you leave a guild, I am leaving the guild I have been a member of for 1 year. Not much has been done as far as charities go and this year has been nothing but middle school teenage girl drama. People bad mouthing other people. Going behind people's back to benefit themselves and so on. I'm the youngest member and I'll be 47 this year. I can not believe the immaturity of this group of "girls".

So as of right now I am jaded. I may take a couple months to find and visit other guilds to see what they are like. I realize anytime you put several females together in a room issues will arise but when it comes to the point of harassment, I'm done! I was hoping the drama would subside but it's just escalating.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:43 AM

I was a member of a guild for several years. I learned a lot and loved sewing together for charity. I believe if you are a member of a group, you should take your turn at holding office and contribute to business end of things. I just didn't want to deal with all the complications involved. I'd rather sew than spend my time in long discussions with no ending in sight.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:16 AM

All guilds have their own "flavour" depending on the participants. Most guilds do not operate in the way you are describing. Check out other guilds in your area for a much better match. Guilds should be fun, educational and a great place to meet up with quilting buddies. If they are not inspiring you and lifting your quilting spirit and skills, it's time to move on. Life is too short to put up with a lot of ridiculous drama.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:31 AM

I am planning to visit some of the other guilds in my area. I was a member of one, but found the meetings to be just boring, and a waste of my Saturday. I am definitely a joiner and will look for a better fit - love the idea of hanging out with others who share my interests and being able to learn new things.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:35 AM

I belonged to a group for about 5 months. I wanted to join a group for that had a love of quilting and that I could learn from others. I am a fairly decent quilter but still am willing to pick up ideas. Many in the group were newbies that didn't know how to thread a machine/pick out fabric/how to cut/--you get the idea. The "leader" of the group picked out a hard pattern/cut it out and proceeded to sew it. The newbies had no idea what was going on. My thought is that it would be nice to help the newbies start from the very beginning. Learn by doing--Needless to say, I am quitting because I did not like the way it is being run. I'll stay in my basement and do my thing. Sorry--end of rant!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 AM

When I moved to Florida I joined a guild and stayed for a year. Once I started realizing that the president was the head of a huge clique, I decided to go elsewhere. They go on an over night quilt week-end several times a year and the president wouldn't announce it until all her friends had their spots and there was only a couple left. She did this a couple times before I realized what was going on. I also didn't feel welcome except for just a few sweet ladies. It was funny that the same lady would introduce herself over and over. I just never felt like I belonged. So I joined another guild. I love this one. The ladies are so welcoming and they introduced themselves and wanted me there. I'm going on 3 years now.
So try another guild. This one is obviously not a fit. Another one might be.

Last edited by mike'sgirl; 05-27-2015 at 05:10 AM.