Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gutermann thread >

Gutermann thread

Gutermann thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:27 AM

Default Gutermann thread

I acquired several spools of Gutermann's Tera 420 threads at a garage sale. Beautiful,fine thread. Thought I would look it up online to learn about its fiber content, properties, etc. Can find almost nothing. A couple of links suggested it was for sewing ripstop fabrics. It doesn't seem that this is it would be appropriate but I was interested it using it for general sewing,quilting. Any insight and info you would have about this trhead would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:37 AM

I have several spools of Gutermann's that I use - while i prefer other threads, Gutermann's works. I find it a little morel linty than other threads
Old 11-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I found this: Gütermann Tera 420 2-Ply is a delicate, fine thread used for blind hemming, serging or sewing non-stressed seams in extremely fine fabrics. Perfect for bridal applications or sewing lace. Creates soft, pliable seams with no impressions on the fabrics. Use with a size 60 or size 9 needle. Tex 8 and contains 5,468 yards. Available in a variety of colors. Please note: actual colors may vary from picture due to computer setting variances.
https://www.cleanersupply.com/

Old 11-18-2019, 07:08 AM

I love my Gutermann's thread have at least 100 spools
Old 11-18-2019, 07:08 AM

So I was curious about your thread and I have never heard of that designation before. Are they cones rather than the usual spools? At first I was convinced it was maybe a color designation but as I puttered around, it appears it is a "professional" thread. I found this link - hope it helps

https://www.wawak.com/Thread/Thread-...s/?sku=GTDZ368
Old 11-18-2019, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by leaha View Post
I love my Gutermann's thread have at least 100 spools
I too have a large quantity of Gutermann's threads. Many of them I got from my mother when she went into a nursing home. She was purchasing them for use with an embroidery machine and was not watching the thread content or weight. Some are great for machine embroidery and others are not. Like with many things reading the label and asking questions is the best way to go. The larger number of what she gave me were great for general sewing.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:10 AM

I bought one of those cases that had a 100 yard spool of every color??, several years ago. I find that 100 yards doesn't last too long.

I was told, when I was having trouble with Coats and Clark breaking, that Gutermann was better because it was wound tighter. Thread wants to unwind when it is humid or raining outside. I've found that to be the case.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:46 AM
Administrator

following the link provided by OneByOne, i noticed the description stated the thread is 100% polyester.
i would be inclined to not use it for piecing.

however, if you do your own quilting it might come in quite handy - especially if you don't want the quilting to be the focus.
it's thin enough that it will virtually disappear when you quilt with it. it's a great weight to use if there are a lot of color changes in the top and you don't have any transparent poly thread to use.
because it's poly, it will be strong enough to hold up to all the but most abusive use or laundering.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:49 AM

Might be weird but I find that I have the best luck with the better grade of the large spool of Coats & Clarks thread. My Janome 6600 likes it also.