Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Gypsy Gripper >

The Gypsy Gripper

The Gypsy Gripper

Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
Has anyone tried using one of those from the hardware store that you apply to your tub to assist in getting out of the tub. I saw one hanging in Home Depot and wondered if it would work since it looks almost the same. It is somewhat cheaper than the one in the quilt shops also. Just a thought and looking for new ways to save money.
about three years ago, I purchased three, bc I have a daughters that's handicapped, and I have a bum knee. One day it hit me that it worked so well in tub area, that maybe it would work on ruler, voila! I have never had a problem with it.
I'm not sure why somebody was advised to put cooking oil on theirs. you never oil a rubber gasket on a pressure cooker, but they are exposed to heat, so I guess it will keep it from cracking. Mine is still like new. Got it from one of those junk mail catalogs, like spencers or carol wright. they were about 14.99 apiece.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:25 PM

I just came from Walgreens and they have them for $12.99.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Our Walmart didn't have them. We just recently got a Walgreen's. I've been in there twice. I keep forgetting we have one. I'm heading for Walgreen's
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Another thought would be to wipe the suction cups clean. Let the air dry throughly. IE over night then take a little bit of water around the suction cup not soaking it, and then stick it to your ruler. Like you would suction cup hooks for on the windows or bathroom shower walls.
Katrina
Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

WalMart here has them in the bath soap/shampoo section. They use to be in the pharmacy dept then moved to bath accessories and even in the baby dept. I guess they don't know exactly what they are. I told one clerk they would sell more if they put them in the fabric dept and had one on display attached to a ruler. Seem like common sense to me to do that.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM

I solved my problem with he gripper. I took it back where I bought it and since it was on backorder and I didn't want to wait for a new one (had anaother plan but didn't want to tell me) I found something else (not hard to do in a quilt shop) and then went to Walmart and purchased one. The one from Walmart has a little thicker handle which I think I like better. I looked at Walmart before and couldn't find it. I was looking in the bathroom asile. I found it where you find the bandaids and such in the pharamcy part of the store. PROBLEM SOLVED On to the next. I need to stay away from quilt shops, while there they had right at the door as you come in a quilt using the French Braid techique. A must I have to try. I'll doing a bargello now.