Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gypsy Quilter Purple Sit Upon? >

Gypsy Quilter Purple Sit Upon?

Gypsy Quilter Purple Sit Upon?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 PM

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Yes, it does work the core muscles, but for me, I first bought one for work because I was sitting in front of a computer all day in a chair that didn't really fit. The typing was worse as the keyboard could not be placed in an ergonomically correct place. Once I got it, everything was better. I then purchased a second one for the backless stool I sit on to sew. Yet again, LOVE IT.

Laurie
Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 PM

I've had one for over 6 months and love it. I'm tall and trying to find a chair that is high enough to be comfortable is always a problem. I also have arthritis in my lower back. It took a little while to get used to, but now I wouldn't sit a long time without it. For me, it was definitely worth the price.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think it's just another fad, might help some people, especially if they believe in it enough. Having a good chair with back support and putting your sewing machine at the proper height, as well as getting up frequently and stretching would probably help more, and there's no price tag attached.
I agree with Dunster. I did buy one of those at a sale and didn't like it. I gave it to my mom and the ladies in her Senior group - no one wanted it. I am sure it works for some but we just felt like we were wobbling around.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 AM

Bought it, use it, love it
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

My friend has one and everytime I sit on it I wobble and almost fall off! You need good balance to stay on it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:33 AM

I think it's great for taking to retreats where you have chairs with very little padding or support.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 AM

I don't know about that, but there are balance ball chairs out there that help relieve back strain and are actually recommended by physical therapists and chiropracters. I used to work with a bookeeper who used a balance ball part of the day when she needed a break from the office chair. They look something like this one: http://www.gaiam.com/basic-balance-b...efault,pd.html
You can google it and compare prices. Good luck
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM

I don't like mine, I felt too wobbly, but my husband likes it in the car, he has a bad hip. (He doesn't drive).

Some of my guild members have a cushion that is gel filled. Some got them from a TV ad, others from a medical supply store, they are made for wheelchairs. They love them.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 AM

If you have a large yoga ball, try using it as your 'chair' while you sew. It will give you the same benefits - helps strengthen your core and tighten abdominal muscles. I occasionally switch to mine if I'm having lower back issues and it does help.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM

I hear everyone talking about being wobbly and having a feeling of falling off - like riding your bike the first time, remember way back when? But then you got your balance and off you went. Same idea? Maybe that is what it's benefits are, improving your balance and unconsiously building those inner core muscles, etc? Maybe I will have to give it a try, never considered it before, but after this post, I may think about it now.