Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gypsy wife question >

Gypsy wife question

Gypsy wife question

Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Gypsy wife question

Just rec'd the pattern...read thru it..seems ok, it's the second edition, so errors should not be there. Except..on page 35 Quilt Construction it states strips are either 1 1/2" or 1", yet in back of book where it lists fab and supplies needed, it states strips - 10 @ 4", 50 @ 2". Maybe this will make more sense as I get into it, but thought maybe those who have already been here know why? Thanks
Old 11-30-2016, 04:27 AM

I did Gypsy Wife as part of a year long quilt along with a women's retreat group. The 2nd addition still has some errors. My advice is to just go with the flow. Work through the pattern and when it comes time to assemble, be flexible. The quilt is what I lovingly referred to as "a hot mess" so adding another border or tweaking some of the blocks isn't going to be noticeable in the end. Enjoy the process.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:43 AM

Its great that you know how to spot them. Just think of the ones who are trying to follow directions and have no idea that the reason it isn't working is not due to them making mistakes but the pattern maker. I take serger classes, we just used a book and thank goodness our teacher knows sergers so well that she could spot the mistakes and mark them. Even with that, I found a mistake as well, the only reason she hadn't found that one was because it was during construction and since she knew how to do that she didn't pay as much of attention. At least now you know to pay more attention to see if there are any more mistakes before you find out the hardway. Good luck
Old 11-30-2016, 04:47 AM

I also started my GW as a class project...we gathered as a class for about 3 weeks just to get it started. We worked backwards starting with sections 8, 9 & 10. I have the middle section done but had to clean up for house guests this summer. I will dig it out after Christmas and get my ducks back in a row so I can finish it. LOL
Old 11-30-2016, 05:54 AM

...yes, I agree...it seems to be a perfect example of a "hot mess"! I did the first two blocks in the booklet..omg...I hate fraction cutting! So I rounded off, then tons of trimming to fit! And, I might add the gray printing is not easy on aging eyes! But still wonder why the descrepency in the cutting instructions on those "ribbons". I think my gypsy wife will be a long tablerunner! And, I will not order any other patterns by that designer!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:25 AM

Here is a source for some good Gypsy Wife info: http://hydeeannsews.blogspot.com/p/gypsy-wife-2016.html
This is on my bucket list....