Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Had a brief panic attack yesterday...

Fortunately I worked it out before completely losing it.

After finishing a rag quilt for my nephew, I thoroughly cleaned my machine to get rid of the residual lint.

Last night, I started a new project and wasted quite a bit of thread when the fabric was not advancing. I disassembled the machine again, checked to make sure that the feed dogs were not blocked and could raise and lower correctly. Still nothing, more thread wasted.

Then I happened to look at the stitch length indicator. Yep - set to a big fat 0 as the last stitches done were to lock the threads.

So, fixed that and created a very impressive birds nest. Disentangled the thread from the bobbin mechanism and started over. Fortunately before starting the next bird's nest I asked myself why the tension would be so terrible - hmmm - could it be that the machine is not correctly threaded AT ALL.

The nearest I can figure is that when I finished winding bobbins I laid the thread over the top of the machine and when I sat down to get started again, simply threaded the needle, assuming I'd run through the other important contact points.

All's well that ends well. I did sew 10 strip sets last night for the 9-patch challenge that I'm participating in. And I was able to solve the problem myself.

Cheers, K

I understand what you are saying. I have done things like that and it has taken me hours to fix.

YAH, !!
    Somthing goes wrong here, and I do the same!! Yeikes, most of the time I just need to plug it in... :)

Isn't it surprising that each of us thinks our errors are unique?
    We all do it.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    We all do it.
    I figure there are many who have done this here on the board. In my house though, I am on my own as my DH would just scratch his head and commiserate. My next step was going to be to come here and try to figure out why the feed dogs weren't pulling the fabric.

And I did learn from reading here that the birds nest on the bottom was a top thread tension problem. So I'm very thankful to have this resource.

Cheers, K

I think we all go through this at least once. I am glad you worked it out! I am always cleaning my machine and yes, I often mis-thread a machine.

Blog Entries
    Learned something new, I didn't know that a birds nest was caused from a top thread tension. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole
    Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    We all do it.
    I figure there are many who have done this here on the board. In my house though, I am on my own as my DH would just scratch his head and commiserate. My next step was going to be to come here and try to figure out why the feed dogs weren't pulling the fabric.

And I did learn from reading here that the birds nest on the bottom was a top thread tension problem. So I'm very thankful to have this resource.

Cheers, K
    Me too, sometimes it just helps to say it, or spell. :-D Best part is someone would have had the anwser. :-D

Blog Entries
    I am happy to hear that you got it all worked out and are happily sewing now :D:D:D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I like to blame my sewing Gremilins when things are done incorrectly in my room LOL. Glad you figured it out. I do not like those Bird nests. LOL

Ok....here is a dumb question. I'm a new quilter. How do you know which is the top thread tension. I have a Brother and it is set at 3.5 and 2.5. Is this wrong or right. Help.

Quote Originally Posted by libertykm
    Ok....here is a dumb question. I'm a new quilter. How do you know which is the top thread tension. I have a Brother and it is set at 3.5 and 2.5. Is this wrong or right. Help.
    No clue how to answer that. It may be machine specific so you'll get better answers if you start a new thread. On my Bernina, I have a +/- dial for tension for the top thread (from the spool). The bottom (bobbin) tension is controlled by a screw in the bobbin case. So far, I'm not messing with either setting.

When I got the bird's nest last night it was because the thread went from the spool to the needle and I skipped all of the steps in between that would have controlled the tension. Not enough caffeine apparently.

Oh - and I lean towards placing the blame on Gus whenever possible, or the Corgis - but last night was all me. And he really is pretty good about not messing with settings.

Cheers, K

We have all had those terrible moments of "what is going on here". Most of mine are user error.

I do that sometimes when I'm using my Viking. Then I recall
    that I didn't thread the bobbin area correctly. It makes the most spectacular thread barfs. grrrrr
    Most of my machines have a separate bobbin case, the Viking is a drop in bobbin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by franie
    I think we all go through this at least once. I am glad you worked it out! I am always cleaning my machine and yes, I often mis-thread a machine.
    I am guilty of this also.

If you have your machine book it should explain it . I have 2 Brothers also that I piece with & the book instructions aren't the best but they aren't too bad at explaining things.

uote=libertykm]Ok....here is a dumb question. I'm a new quilter. How do you know which is the top thread tension. I have a Brother and it is set at 3.5 and 2.5. Is this wrong or right. Help.[/quote]

Here's one for you. I have owned a Janome 9500 for around 5 years and only recently started having difficulty with it. Took it to my local dealer (50 miles away) and they said I needed a new mother board for big $$$. Called the shop where I purchased it, found out it was still warranted and got the repairs done there. Didn't touch it for 3 months and had similar problems again. Took it back (120 miles away) and found out I had the wrong bobbin and it wasn't threaded correctly! Did get a nice lunch out with my husband while waiting for the "repairs" to be done, though.

I was having snarling problems with my Singer a few years ago. Looked at the bobbin and learned that the millimeters difference and being concave (convex? can't remember the proper direction) versus flat really did make a huge difference in how the machine worked. Of course, I wasn't smart enough to toss or at least mark the ones that don't work, so I had to do a test run last time I pulled out that machine.

Cheers, K