Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had house fire last year. Remember me? >

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 AM

Angry Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Well...it's been a little over a year since my house burned down. I believe it was my iron that caused that to happen. You will not believe this! Have been sewing all night last evening. Just now I was pressing a sashing seam and my Hamilton Beach "Durathon" started humming. And gurgling. I thought I could smell that familiar smell of hot electric, again. I pressed a button on the side that was for self cleaning. It really started getting really hot! And the noises! OMG! I briefly touched it down on my antique ironing board that I just got from my beloved Mother's things. It burnt the fabric. I don't mean a scorch. I mean a black imprint of the iron. I couldn't get to the plug fast enough. Talk about flashbacks! Please! Please! Please! Unplug those irons when not in use! My house really smells right now.
I'm just really thankful I didn't touch it down on my quilt I am making today. Would've burnt it, too. BTW...I am making a remake of the very same quilt top I was working on last year when the fire occurred! Maybe I should stop while ahead.

Last edited by oldpiglady; 02-02-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness. I've read of Rowenta irons catching fire. mine blew out my power cord finally. I'd had it for years. I tossed it. I never left my iron plugged in, no matter what. I hate leaving my coffee pot plugged in. I don't use the timer for it to start coffee for me.
take it slow. did the fire dept. say what started the fire? It would serve the companies right if you could sue for damages. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 AM

oldpiglady: so glad that you was able to chage things before it get out of hand. will you be able to make a new cover for you mom's iron board?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 AM

yes, I remember you and the house fire. Good to hear from you again.

Stay safe!!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM

I always unplug my iron, and I think it is thanks to you! I don't actually recall who convinced me to unplug....but, like I said, I think it was you. I am so glad you caught your iron before it did more damage...and if I wasn't already unplugging, I sure would be now!!

Dina
Old 02-02-2014, 08:47 AM

I don't unplug, but my iron is plugged into a socket to which I always turn off the power now, because of what I learned from your fire. I am glad you are sewing again!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM

I unplug my iron...and my sewing machine. I don't leave a lot of appliances pluged inunles they have to be.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM

SO glad that it was not worse....what an awful flashback for you !!!!
Had the same thing happen to me last year with a Black&Decker iron...i have no idea how hot it got - but it burned/scorched the shirt i was ironing and the silver board cover underneath. I have a "thing" about anything electrical that gets "hot"...and never leave them plugged in....not toaster, coffee maker etc....reinforced by the time i plugged in my blow dryer and even tho i had not turned it on it went "POP" and caught fire.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Omg thats freaky that its happening again with the remake of that quilt! I always unplug my iron when not in use. My mom taught me years ago and ive just always done it. Im always afraid the iron will fall over and cause a fire that way
Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 AM

Oh my!! I guess I need to start unplugging things. I'm so glad you were able to catch the problem before any worse things happen.