Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had To Laugh At Myself!! >

Had To Laugh At Myself!!

Had To Laugh At Myself!!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
I've been determined with the most recent hand quilting project to learn to use a thimble. Just started using a spoon to help with the underneath hand being stuck all the time and that's working wonderfully so thought I'd work on protecting the other hand too. I love to quilt by hand and find it very relaxing but it's sure rough on the hands! This morning I noticed the first finger on my right hand was really sore and then started wondering what I could have done to it to make it so tender. I started paying closer attention to what I was doing and found I'm avoiding the finger with the thimble on it and pushing the needle through with the first finger. That's defeating the whole purpose so off went the thimble. Maybe next time.

Aren't we silly sometimes? Can see myself doing that, too
Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
To get used to thimble: wear it on finger all day while doing other things...your brain will except it as your fingertip and will not "fight" it when you quilt with it......that's the theory......
Sounds like a plan!
Old 10-12-2014, 10:35 AM

I have found that tourniquets (when you have to have your blood drawn at the lab) are WONDERFUL for pulling the needle through when hand quilting. Sometimes I just hit a tough spot, maybe a seam allowance, and my hands are dry and just won't pull that needle through. I can cut up that tourniquet and share. When I explain to the lab girl why I want it, they don't care if I take it. Sometime they will say, "I don't see a thing." They are disposable so they are thrown away anyway.
Also those big rubberbands from broccoli at the stores---they work,,,but not as well as a tourniquet.

Last edited by sailsablazin; 10-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Don't laugh too hard, I could never get used to wearing a thimble, even for hand sewing, and then carpal tunnel took care of any hand quilting for me.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
I've been determined with the most recent hand quilting project to learn to use a thimble. Just started using a spoon to help with the underneath hand being stuck all the time and that's working wonderfully so thought I'd work on protecting the other hand too. I love to quilt by hand and find it very relaxing but it's sure rough on the hands! This morning I noticed the first finger on my right hand was really sore and then started wondering what I could have done to it to make it so tender. I started paying closer attention to what I was doing and found I'm avoiding the finger with the thimble on it and pushing the needle through with the first finger. That's defeating the whole purpose so off went the thimble. Maybe next time.
I "discovered" those silicone finger cots that they sell in office supply stores. They protect my fingers so I can sew longer, and none of the akwardness of a thimble, and room for my nails. Works for me. They are so comfortable I once noticed while standing in line at the grocery store that I still had one on!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I purchased a needle puller, can't remember where I got it, but I use it a lot.
I just use an old pair of forceps.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:56 AM

I just learned to use a regular thimble many years ago. I never think about it except to grab one every time I do hand sewing, even a few stitches. I see videos of people stitching without a thimble and shudder. My poor hands would be raw meat! The little hand quilting I've done absolutely required a second thimble on the left hand to protect that finger, too, but it was a different style from my regular metal one. I must be tender, like the princess who felt the pea through 20 mattresses, LOL.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:30 PM

I had trouble with thimbles until I got the little plastic one that you can boil and adjust it to your finger. But then I found TJ Lane thimbles and she makes them to size. Over the years I have bought 4 of them. (I love the different designs and decided I needed a heart, then the angel, then the fairy and a butterfly.) She doesn't come to San Diego so have to find what is new at the Road to CA show in Ontario. I have tried to use the generic ones now and they just fall off.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM

I taped my fingers with duct tape when I hand sew and my fingers get tender.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:42 PM
IQ2

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
I have found that tourniquets (when you have to have your blood drawn at the lab) are WONDERFUL for pulling the needle through when hand quilting. Sometimes I just hit a tough spot, maybe a seam allowance, and my hands are dry and just won't pull that needle through. I can cut up that tourniquet and share. When I explain to the lab girl why I want it, they don't care if I take it. Sometime they will say, "I don't see a thing." They are disposable so they are thrown away anyway.
Also those big rubberbands from broccoli at the stores---they work,,,but not as well as a tourniquet.
also little balloons....learned that at a hand-quilting class where the instructor handed us each one to use.