Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half Square Triangle help!!! >

Half Square Triangle help!!!

Half Square Triangle help!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Sewing the square is an easier way to do it, because you don't have a biased edge that can stretch. If you don't have a 1/4 inch foot for your machine, simply draw your line from corner to corner, then draw another line on each side, exactly 1/4 inch from the first. Sew down those lines, and voila! :-)
This is exactly what I was going to say. I have a 1/4" foot, and if you can get it for your machine, it's a very good investment.

If you move your needle to the right, can you get the distance between the needle and the right side of the presser foot (or one of the lines on the machine) to be 1/4"?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kara
Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Sewing the square is an easier way to do it, because you don't have a biased edge that can stretch. If you don't have a 1/4 inch foot for your machine, simply draw your line from corner to corner, then draw another line on each side, exactly 1/4 inch from the first. Sew down those lines, and voila! :-)
This is exactly what I was going to say. I have a 1/4" foot, and if you can get it for your machine, it's a very good investment.

If you move your needle to the right, can you get the distance between the needle and the right side of the presser foot (or one of the lines on the machine) to be 1/4"?
That's what I do, and usually I even move it one MORE tic to the right to get a SCANT 1/4 inch to account for the fold. Sometimes I do the seam on 3 pieces of 1 1/2 inch fabrics I'm using to check how the fabric works after it's sewn and ironed. Sometimes I need the scant 1/4" and sometimes I don't. Fabric thickness varies.