Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Half Square Triangle Ruler

Half Square Triangle Ruler

Does anyone use a Half Square Triangle Ruler instead of cutting and sewing squares together? Do you save on fabric using the rulers? Just wondering....

Thank You
    Marlene

Blog Entries
    I use a square ruler, from when I helped my dad. It is one of his tools. It is a 12" Looks like a Letter L, there different sizes. My favorite tool.

I don't think you'd save on fabric. Better to cut squares and sew on the diagonal.
    That way you are not sewing on bias edges which tend to stretch.

Power Poster
    What is a half square triangle ruler?

Power Poster
    I avoid sewing bias edges whenever possible so I usually do 2 larger squares, sew down the middle and cut apart. If you were repeating the triangles a million times like in Bonnie Hunter's quilts, it would be handy to strip piece half square triangles with her ruler.

I use the paper method for HSTs, or for larger sizes, the Easy Angle ruler. I can't tell you if it saves fabric. I do it because it is easier and quicker for me. And with the paper method, they are always perfect and no trimming.

http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html
    Lisa

I tried the Quilt in a Day ruler where you can trim up before you open your HST but it kept slipping and caused me pain so I'm going to invest in a Bloc Loc ruler, they're expensive so I'm going to order the biggest one, it's 12". I've tried my regular ruler but it was very hard to get to stay as well.

I have the Block Loc and it's a pain for me to use. I messed up many HSTs trying to get it right. It looks so easy on the video but not so much at home for me. I know it's something I'm doing or not doing but I'm the only one in my sew group that has one so they aren't any help.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

That's a good thing to know! Maybe I should buy a smaller cheaper one to use first or see if someone local has one I can borrow to see if it works for me. It's a very expensive ruler....

I put small pieces of sandpaper on the back so my rulers don't slip. They are called easy grip I think.

One method I use to make 1/2 square triangles is to cut two squares large enough to make 4 sets of two 1/2 square triangles, put them face to face, and sew 1/4 inch seam around all 4 sides of the square. Then I very carefully cut an "X" through the center of the square. That produces 4 sets of already sewn together half square triangles.

Practice a few sets using this method with scraps to ensure you have the 1/4" seams are right and that your "X" is centered. As with all things quilting, precision is important.

I also have an accuquilt that I use to make 1/2 square triangles. It was purchased because cutting has become difficult for me. It's like a miracle. both for accuracy and for my arms and hands.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I use the Easy Angle ruler for hsts, ever since I learned about it from Bonnie Hunter (before she started making her own hybrid of it). It's the most accurate way, for me. I hate taking time trimming and my hsts don't ever need a trim when made with the Easy Angle. If you want 2.5" triangles, you cut a 2.5" strip. Then you place the ruler along the strip and cut, over and over down the strip. If you use a consistent 1/4" seam, they will be perfect.

The problem for me with sewing two squares around the edges and then cutting diagonally twice, or sewing diagonally across two squares and then cutting, is that it's very hard to get hsts that are consistantly accurate. If you miss that exact diagonal by even a crumb, your hsts are off.

Here's a great video by Bonnie, explaining how to use the Easy Angle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ_AoJsGJbM
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
    I tried the Quilt in a Day ruler where you can trim up before you open your HST but it kept slipping and caused me pain so I'm going to invest in a Bloc Loc ruler, they're expensive so I'm going to order the biggest one, it's 12". I've tried my regular ruler but it was very hard to get to stay as well.
    The BlocLoc would not work if your press the seam open, which I often do.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I have the Block Loc and it's a pain for me to use. I messed up many HSTs trying to get it right. It looks so easy on the video but not so much at home for me. I know it's something I'm doing or not doing but I'm the only one in my sew group that has one so they aren't any help.
    I actually know several people with the same problem. They would probably sell em cheap!

I have always used the 8-at-a-time method. There are many sites for this, but here's one: http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20...ght-at-a-time/

Works like a charm for me!
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

Making a square a tad larger, sewing diagonally and cutting apart and trimming works best and looks neater for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    I use the paper method for HSTs, or for larger sizes, the Easy Angle ruler. I can't tell you if it saves fabric. I do it because it is easier and quicker for me. And with the paper method, they are always perfect and no trimming.

http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html
    thanks for this link. i love the paper source given at the end
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    I have always used the 8-at-a-time method. There are many sites for this, but here's one: http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20...ght-at-a-time/

Works like a charm for me!
    thanks for this link... has a great chart for starting square sizes
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have the Fons and Porter ruler where you cut strips (ruler tells you the size) and yes there is very little waste, however it is a bias edge. Most of the time I am making so many HST that I just use the square method.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

If I am making a lot, I'll do the square sewn down the middle. I've not had luck with the method of using a bigger square and sewing so you end up with a bunch of identical HSTs. I am fine with trimming, so I will start out with slightly bigger squares so what I end up with is always exact.

When I want more randomness, then I'll use my easy angle just like sewbizgirl does.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    me, too and here is a way to make 2, 4 or 8.

Name:  HSTs.gif.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  572.6 KB
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Here is my problem with the Block Loc.

I used the 6 1/2 Block Loc to square up two HSTs. One on the left is perfect, right one is no use at all. There is no marking on the ruler which groove side to use on the seam and both sides fit. So what am I doing wrong?

Name:  IMG_0590.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  78.9 KB Name:  IMG_0589.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  79.7 KB
    Last edited by Onebyone; 05-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have a love-hate relationship with HST's. I fell in love with a pattern and just had to make it. It turned out to be all HST's and squares measuring 2 inches finished. Needless to say, by the time I finished that top I was BURNED OUT on HST's. And I still am! For Christmas I made another quilt that needed HST's (for granddaughter) and I knew I had to find a way to make HST's easier than one or two at a time(remember, I'm still burned out). So I went searching. If I have to make more than 4 HST's,( and if you make quilts, who doesn't) I use the method that makes 8 at a time. I found a chart that tells you what size to cut the fabric for whatever size HST you need. And they don't need trimming!!!! Even my scrappies(is that right?) will now get HST's using this method. For me the wheel is now fixed.
    JAN

I have the 8 in one. Fancy but is all in one so it makes it a little easier. http://www.ciscosewingsuppliesandnot...ngle-tool.html The chart size was online. I downloaded it and it's on the ruler. I have the WonderCut ruler and it's accurate. But time consuming.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast