Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hancock Fabrics Remodel

Our Hancock's here in Birmingham, AL (Hoover) just recently remodeled AGAIN! After Jo-Ann's moved in the same shopping center, I guess they decided to step up or give up!!! It is set up just like Jo-Ann's--fabric to the left and crafts to the right. There is stiff competition in this area as there is a Michael's in the next shopping center and a Hobby Lobby in the next one...so we have all 4 in one block.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Chick
    Our Hancock's here in Birmingham, AL (Hoover) just recently remodeled AGAIN! After Jo-Ann's moved in the same shopping center, I guess they decided to step up or give up!!! It is set up just like Jo-Ann's--fabric to the left and crafts to the right. There is stiff competition in this area as there is a Michael's in the next shopping center and a Hobby Lobby in the next one...so we have all 4 in one block.
    WOW! We don't have anything like this unless you drive for 30-45 minutes! I have been in Hancocks only 1 or 2 times but LOVED it! I got my big ruler there that usually cost $25+ for $13!! Love it-Use it all the time. I hate the idea of it changing. The people in there were so helpful and friendly. I don't get to travel out of town much but would love to go back. :)

Blog Entries
    I buy a LOT of fabric from hancock's on line store, web site...around a holiday, they often have fanatastic prices for the clearance items.

I have a really dumb question. Is the Hancocks of Paducah the same company as the Hancock fabric stores around? They don't seem to be, but I'm not sure.

In my area, Hancock has relocated the fabric to a farther corner of the store. Looks like the store is being taken over by crappy wrought iron knick-knacks, artifical flowers, vases, etc. I used to like going to Hancock because I knew the cutters and it was nice talking to them. Now they got kids who know nothing about fabric - they just cut. Joann's moved a couple miles away and became a superstore and at my age I don't relish wandering around the store because the staff can't direct me to the correct area.
    I have become an online shopper and I'm very fond of my UPS driver and my Fed-X deliveryman LOL.
    Really sad because I used to enjoy walking the aisles, feeling the cotton - Guess this is what they call PROGRESS.

Hancock's ??? What's a Hancock's ? The closest one to me in NE Ohio is in Toledo about 85 miles and 2 hours away. Then the next closest one is about 4 hours away in Ft. Wayne Indiana... another whole state! Guess we're relegated to the few pricy quilt shops and good ol' JoAnn's... HA! I'm starting to recycle old clothes... and quilting less. Sad but true. It's discouraging to have to pay these prices for fabric.

Try the online stores, they have fantastic prices all the time and most ship free with a certain amount purchased, usually about $35.00.
    Connecting Threads; Marshall's Dry Goods; Fabric.com have better deals than either Hancock Fabrics or Joann Fabric but both have online stores.

Don't know if our remodeled or just moved things around, but they seem to have less fabric. They do have a quilt area tho. And they do have more crafty things.

Quote Originally Posted by girlsfour
    Am wondering if anyone has opinions of Hancock Fabrics new store remodels? Not all of them are done yet, but it is coming. I am wondering if that is why they are having such fabulous sales on their fabric - to downsize the inventory.

I am told that they will be more like a Michaels or a Joanns. Adding more crafts, the Martha Stewart line and also some Wilton products.
    Our Hancock's is in the process...and I've gotten some great deals on fabric...untill I bought the red 100% Polyester that ran and ran and ran and is still bleeding a little pink after the vinegar, the salt, the Retayne, and the Synthrapol. I don't trust it any more. And that was the fabric that was $13.99 per yd. The manager said he didn't understand why Poly would even run in the first place. I didn't understand it either, and I bought eight yds of the stuff.

This makes the second piece I've gotten from a Hancock's. The first time it was the quilters blenders wide backing, 100% cotton. It was green. I understand the red, but the green? Someone somewhere isn't doing a good job for Hancock's. I'm really leery now.

But, yes, they are loading up on row after row after row of beads and such (which I don't want) and all kinds of crafty things. I'll probably drive to Little Rock now for fabric (it's only 32 miles.) And, we do still have a Hobby Lobby. I'm sure there is a demand for the new look but I am pretty sure I won't be the good customer I've always been.

No Hancocks left around here, most closed 4-5 yrs ago ... agree they've been BADLY in need of major updating, the stores hadn't changed in 30-40 years when they were here, still looked like the 1960's !
    No doubt they will copy Joann's, carry less fabric and more of all the home and garden JUNK that you can buy ANYwhere else :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    No Hancocks left around here, most closed 4-5 yrs ago ... agree they've been BADLY in need of major updating, the stores hadn't changed in 30-40 years when they were here, still looked like the 1960's !
    No doubt they will copy Joann's, carry less fabric and more of all the home and garden JUNK that you can buy ANYwhere else :roll:
    This new one is an update of an update. They remodeled them a couple of years ago. It was great layout. Maybe it will good, but I am skeptical.

This new one is an update of an update. They remodeled them a couple of years ago. It was great layout. Maybe it will good, but I am skeptical.
    Hope so for you ! they never updated their stores here, and even built one "new" location near me (still looked just like the old ones!) about 5 years ago, but it closed after just a year or two. Really poor job of marketing for a city the size of Houston and all the suburbs here.

Oh my gosh, they don't market at all. The Woodbury, MN store re-opened three years ago. They never advertised one bit. It is in the corner of the suburb where most people who live there don't go near. People are still saying that didn't know it was there. The store is lovely - the building is fairly new which makes it nice with high ceilings and all.

You would think they would do a little bit of advertising. I would pay off.

Hope so for you ! they never updated their stores here, and even built one "new" location near me (still looked just like the old ones!) about 5 years ago, but it closed after just a year or two. Really poor job of marketing for a city the size of Houston and all the suburbs here.

nea
    Remodel?!?! I would be happy if the store in our area was halfway clean and somewhat organized. Thank goodness for my stash and the few really nice independent shops in our state.

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    We have two Hancocks here and the have been updated. I don't think all of their supplies are in yet since alot of the shelves are partially empty. They updated last summer so I don't know why it is taking so long. One thing I do like about the update is that all the fabric is separated from the craft isles. I just don't go back to the crafts area. I like their fabric and you hardly ever find their quilting fabric not having a 30% or 40% discount. They also have 40% coupons, so if it isn't already on sale, you can still use the coupon.
    I guess we are very lucky here because we have the two Hancocks, Hobby Lobby, a new Joann's opening up this summer,and a nice Jackmans Fabrics, aside from several LQS's. After hearing how some of you have to travel miles to get to a fabric store, I feel very blessed.
    Wish I could help some of you out.

Quote Originally Posted by tntgranny
    I have a really dumb question. Is the Hancocks of Paducah the same company as the Hancock fabric stores around? They don't seem to be, but I'm not sure.
    No they are totally different. Hancocks of Paducah is a store on its own. the others are a chain. I asked that question when I visited the Paducah store.

Ours remodeled and the prices have goes up but hven't all fabric prices risen?

Our Hancocks used to be good with lots of clearaance tables and good sales. Then about 10 years ago they remodeled, and brought in a lot of home decorator fabrics for drapes, upholstering, lots of high end knick-knacks like wall decor, lamps, etc. Just a back corner was relegated to quilting fabric, and it is high priced. I only go there if I can't find what I want in Hobby Lobby. I hope ours gets a new makeover with good prices and good selection.

One Joan store is already a super store and now they are moving the other old store to a super store. Do you live near there. I live very close to Hancocks & Hobby Lobby. I hated when the Watson Rd Jackman's closed.

Quote Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
    We have two Hancocks here and the have been updated. I don't think all of their supplies are in yet since alot of the shelves are partially empty. They updated last summer so I don't know why it is taking so long. One thing I do like about the update is that all the fabric is separated from the craft isles. I just don't go back to the crafts area. I like their fabric and you hardly ever find their quilting fabric not having a 30% or 40% discount. They also have 40% coupons, so if it isn't already on sale, you can still use the coupon.
    I guess we are very lucky here because we have the two Hancocks, Hobby Lobby, a new Joann's opening up this summer,and a nice Jackmans Fabrics, aside from several LQS's. After hearing how some of you have to travel miles to get to a fabric store, I feel very blessed.
    Wish I could help some of you out.

I hate our local Hancock's, so I don't shop at it often. It is in the same shopping center as Joann's. They never seem to have what I want/need, not enough help, messy and dirty. I guess I should at least go in and see if there is something I could use. I might get the scoop on whether they are closing or remodeling again.

I wish there was a Hancocks here in the Portland area. 20 some years ago we had several but have all closed. I used to work for Hancocks when I lived in Oklahoma. Loved the fabric! I like them better than Joann's Don't know why they closed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstitches
    I did not know this but hoping if they do remodel, they have more employees working than Joanns.
    well, they won't...in fact you are probably seeing FEWER employees...the company is still in the toilet, they fired one CEO and tried bringing in another, but things have not gone well....

they have totally lost sight of what Hancock FABRICS should be!
    Where I live they are waaaaaay better than Joann's.

As far as more help at Joann's -- I worked at several stores in the area and part of the reason why there seems to not be enough help is dependant on how sales were the week/month before. Every day, depending on the size, the store has a budget that has to be met. If the sales meet or beat the daily budget, more hours are allocated for help. If the daily sales are less, less hours are allocated. Even though I only worked part-time to support my habit, it did effect the number of hours I worked.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonbonary
    Hate to be a spoiler, but when our Hancocks remodeled, the prices jumped up. They used to have a section toward the back with inexpensive cottons. Now those same fabrics have moved to the front with a much higher price tag.
    Our Hacock's just lowered a bunch of fabric prices, and their prices are much much better than JoAnn's. I wandered around JoAnn's tonight. I couldn't believe they had some patriotic fabrics marked $12.99, and the quality was not great.

Blog Entries
    Hancock.com is not the same as Hancock Paducah (did I spell that right?) anyways, the Hancocks store, on line, has some good sales around the holidays....and they have fee shipping if you buy...I think its a bout $60.00 worth, which isnt hard to do, when they have a good sale.

The Hancocks Igo to in Louisville is small. I wish they would move closer to me and inlarge. Love their fabric.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast