Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Applique Question

Hand Applique Question

This may be a stupid question, but does hand applique need to be done in a hoop?
    Heather

Blog Entries
    It doesn't I prefer not to. . The hoop gets in my way and annoy me but some fin holding the hoop keeps fabric taut while sewing. Personal choice. Try both make your own decision.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I believe it is the recommended method but not necessary. For me, it is easier to use a hoop though not a large one.

I don't use a hoop (and I've actually done quite a bit of hand applique altho I am a quilting newbie).

For designs with a lot of detail -- long skinny pieces that stick out, etc. -- I do like to baste on a nice flat surface before I start appliqueing. Some folks use wonder under / fusible instead of basting.

I never use a hoop. I do thread baste and that helps a lot. Nancy chong has a great video on needle turn appliqué. I have watched it half a dozen times.

Blog Entries
    I think most hand appliquers do not use a hoop. When I took a class from Patricia Cox years ago (the one in MN who is an expert on traditional quilts), we did not use hoops.

I don't use a hoop with applique.

I use a hoop for embroidery but not for applique.
    Marilyn

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I don't use a hoop but then I never thought of using a hoop! Huh! The things you learn on this board.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

I taught myself how to applique. When I first started I thought a hoop would help me get the applique flat. It turned out to make it more difficult. Once I read Ellie Sienkewicz's book "12 Ways to Applique," I started using freezer paper. That helped a lot.

Janet

I looked online at Nancy Chong's appliqué tutorial. It looks easy and amazing. I couldn't find the video. I want to learn to do appliqué this year. I am trying to learn a new quilting technique each year.

I applique a bit, and I don't use a hoop. I like to applique (I do almost exclusively needle-turn) on a flat surface over a cutting mat. That way I can see if it's laying flat or not (using a hoop could make it look artificially flat and then lumpy when it's not being stretched anymore). I also like to be able to pick up or finesse the fabric if I need to, which is difficult on a hoop. I do all my embroidery on a hoop, though, because it makes pass-through easier. With applique, though, I've got my needle on top of the fabric at all times, so it's not necessary.
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

You would think it would be easier to applique using a hoop but I found it isn't for me. I do hand quilt using a hoop and embroider using a hoop.

Banned
    When I first started I did it without a hoop. It was just easier for me. I couldn't get the hang of it. Not I use it because I've found my stitches are smaller and more even.

Blog Entries
    I've been appliquéing for many years and do not use a hoop. There is no need for it. It would get in the way. My appliqué iris was done with no hoop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I do both and go with which ever is the better result and feels more comfortable.

I can't figure out how you could do needleturn applique in a hoop.