Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Applique >

Hand Applique

Hand Applique

Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM

I sometimes use an embroidery hoop. My method of choice has no paper or stabilizer of any kind. I prepare the individual pieces by applying starch with a small paint brush on the fold line then press the edges over a heat resistant template until dry (and stiff). These make a great take along project because sealed in a zipper the pieces hold their shape for months.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 PM

I don't use a stablizer on hand applique. I don't see how you will be able to turn under your seam if you use an iron on stablizer. I have used many methods but I am not familia
with this. I'm not saying it won't work just that I don't see how.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

you seem to keep going back to using fusable- just a word of advice...try something small- that doesn't matter first- before jumping into your project-to see how it goes---fusables are quite difficult to hand stitch through- are normally used for machine applique.
visit the Piece of Cake quilt shop= they offer lots of free tutorials-patterns, dvd's
a great one for beginning is:
"LEARN TO APPLIQUE THE PIECE OF CAKE WAY"
more hand applique tips and tricks are available from:
Alex Anderson
Sue Garmon
Evening Star Designs
Fon's and Porter's love of quilting
Nancy Zieman--Sewing with Nancy
America sews with Sue

there's lots more- that's all i can think of at the moment.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 AM

The reason I keep saying fusable is that is what the lady at the quilt store recommended for doing a blanket stitch

Thanks for all your responses. I love this board because you are so helpful for new quilters
Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 AM

I don't use a hoop. One of the ladies who used to teach in my shop recommended having a pillow on your lap to raise the project up higher. ?? Good luck with it! :)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by sharkee
I am talking about for the actual applique. I'm going to try fusible and just pinning using freezer paper.
You do not need a frame for doing applique. You are attaching the applique shape to the background fabric with either an edge-turning technique or without (shape sewn around with blanket stitch and embroidery No 8 thread, for example). You only need a hoop when you need to hold a surface "taught" - hand quilting or cross stitch. When you hand quilt, make sure when it is in the hoop that the fabric is not stretched super tight, like with cross stitch. I made that mistake my first time and could not quilt or rock the needle. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by sharkee
Thanks everyone.

Do you use a stabilizer on the back like you do when you machine applique? Or if I fuse it down will that be enough
With machine applique, just fuse it down. I would suggest Misty Fuse. It is a super light fusible web. Most fusibles (wonder under etc) can make the shapes "stiff," especially if you "stack them" - like a circle with another shape on top.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me...
One of the ladies who used to teach in my shop recommended having a pillow on your lap to raise the project up higher. ??
I always put a pillow on my lap, either in the chair or on my lap if I am laying on the bed resting my back. That way you don't have to look down so far and strain your neck. Works great!!