Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Applique >

Hand Applique

Hand Applique

Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Yes, it does, and thanks. You won't believe this, but I just saw a copy of that book for sale from on of our other forum members. I really liked it, but it was waaayyyy to expensive. Like over $100. I found that one of the links posted here for the midget blocks is very similar to that quilt and it is free, so that is the way I'm going. I love those quilts.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:10 AM

The book is DEFINITELY not worth $100! It's got a lot of blocks, but no instructions! Just diagramatic pictures of each block. I enjoyed the book, but only paid about $25 for it, brand new. I'm sure I'll be using it a lot, now that I know how, but, you're right, I think you can get a lot of similar blocks for free online.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 AM

I have quilted for years, but have recently (past year) started creating quilt art wall hangings. I never get tired of any part of the process because the different steps keep me interested. I don't machine quilt because I don't want to be stuck behind the sewing machine and I like to take my project with me and work on it "where ever". Applique is one of my favorite steps in my projects and I always hand applique.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 AM

No, not through it. The outline will create a nice design on the back of the quilt.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 AM

When you make the little cuts around curves, make them to just one thread before where the edge will turn and make your cuts at a diagonal to the weave of the fabric. When you get near the inside corners, start making your stitches closer together and give an extra stitch right in the corner to tack it down well. Needle turning works best for me and I have to use silk thread for any applique. It "dissolves" into the fabric and can barely be seen. Enjoy.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 AM

I absolutely love hand applique!!! I've tried lots of different methods but my favorite is needle turn. I was lucky enough to take classes from Beverly Hindman and Linda Jenkins, both of whom are amazing teachers! A good tip for hand appliquing is to always keep a glue stick or some fraycheck near at hand. It helps with those pesky fabrics that like to shred a lot, especially when cutting a V or U corner. Just dab a bit of glue or fraycheck on your needle and run the threads underneath. It works wonderfully and keeps the extra threads from popping up. Another tip, after you are done, stick your needle into a bar of soap or a bit of bees wax. This will help keep your needle nice and sharp, which is helpful. If you have ever tried to applique with a dull needle, you'll know exactly what I mean; very frustrating!
Piece ~ Tiffany
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Annie n SC, You sound like you may be able to help me. I also do a lot of hand applique using silk thread. Am working on designing a undersea quilt and have heard of a unit method where you stitch the applique pieces to a very light pellon-like interfacing. Do you know anything about this? Like what do you do next after the unit is built on the pellon?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I absolutely love hand applique!!! I've tried lots of different methods but my favorite is needle turn. I was lucky enough to take classes from Beverly Hindman and Linda Jenkins, both of whom are amazing teachers! A good tip for hand appliquing is to always keep a glue stick or some fraycheck near at hand. It helps with those pesky fabrics that like to shred a lot, especially when cutting a V or U corner. Just dab a bit of glue or fraycheck on your needle and run the threads underneath. It works wonderfully and keeps the extra threads from popping up. Another tip, after you are done, stick your needle into a bar of soap or a bit of bees wax. This will help keep your needle nice and sharp, which is helpful. If you have ever tried to applique with a dull needle, you'll know exactly what I mean; very frustrating!
Piece ~ Tiffany
Thanks for the advice about the glue stick or fraycheck. I'll give that a try. As far as a dull needle......I think I changed my needle every other square or so....I hate a dull needle. :)
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM

Another hint. Keep a toothpick in your mouth and use to turn rather than the needle. The wet on the toothpick helps the fabric to form and stay in place.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 AM

Hi Quilt Fish - the only method I've heard of similar to what you describe is using used dryer sheets (quite similar to lightweight pellon but much cheaper, LOL). This method is good for sewing small pieces that are hard to work with in needle turning. I have not done this method and prefer using freezer paper or hand basting 1/8" from edge of piece with quilting thread to give myself a nice defined edge to turn. Here is a link you can check out:

http://www.quilt-lovers-guide.com/dr...-applique.html

just copy and paste it into your web browser. Hope this helps!!