Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Crank Machine >

Hand Crank Machine

Hand Crank Machine

Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Here’s a tip for anyone using a Singer HC like QuiltingHaven’s converted 99K or my 201K machine. Her hand crank is after-market and mine is original, but this works for both of them.

It helps to coordinate the HC handle with the needlebar each time after winding a bobbin or disengaging the HC finger from the wheel, to make it easier to stop with the needle in the up or down position as needed. Most of these old machines turn so easily that the weight of the HC handle can be enough to allow the needle to begin moving after you have turned loose of the crank handle. That can be aggravating as heck.

So, after winding a bobbin, tighten the clutch knob and turn the wheel until the needle is in its furthest down position. Loosen the clutch knob and turn the wheel again until the crank handle is also at the bottom of its rotation (make sure the needlebar doesn’t move while you’re doing this), and then tighten the clutch knob to begin sewing.

Now, since this type of HC is at a 3:1 ratio with the needlebar, the needle will be down at three points of the crank revolution, one of them being when the crank handle is straight down. Same thing with the needle being up: there will be three points where the needle is up during a complete revolution of the crank handle, one of them being when the handle is straight up.

Now you will know that when you stop the crank handle at the bottom of the rotation, the needle will be down, and when you stop the handle at the top of the rotation, the needle will be up. Makes hand cranking a whole lot more fun!

CD in Oklahoma
I just got a 15-30 today and put a hand crank on it (I had hoped to put it on another machine, but it didn't work out. ) I was surprised how fast it can go. Of course now I need to re-adjust things - your explanation is going to make things so much easier! I think this is going to be fun to use!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:43 PM

so, can any vintage singer be converted to a hand crank?
Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

That is a nice machine to own and you will really like it. I have one just like it with one of my handcrank kits and it sews so smooth!! I am thinking about bringing it in here and seeing if I can sew a few blocks together for exercise.

Billy
Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by grammyj
I don't understand the hand crank, do you have to turn the wheel for every stitch and have the other hand to hold your pieces ?? I need both hands to hold my work and keep pieces together.
I love the click-i-ty clack the hand wheel makes as it's going around. My kids love the hand cranks. I think it makes 3 stitches per crank. You certainly wouldn't want to use a handcrank machine if you are in a rush but it's one of those slow-going things that can actually be relaxing.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Here’s a tip for anyone using a Singer HC

It helps to coordinate the HC handle with the needlebar each time after winding a bobbin or disengaging the HC finger from the wheel, to make it easier to stop with the needle in the up or down position as needed.

So, after winding a bobbin, tighten the clutch knob and turn the wheel until the needle is in its furthest down position. Loosen the clutch knob and turn the wheel again until the crank handle is also at the bottom of its rotation (make sure the needlebar doesn’t move while you’re doing this), and then tighten the clutch knob to begin sewing.
This is wonderful advice! Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
so, can any vintage singer be converted to a hand crank?
I have a really old (1892) that can't be converted because it doesn't have a motor boss. I don't really know what a motor boss is but it's the place, under the handwheel, where you would be able to attach the handcrank.

If the machine 'does' have a motor boss then all you need is a spoked wheel and the hand crank and you are all set to go!