Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand embroidery fabrics >

Hand embroidery fabrics

Hand embroidery fabrics

Old 07-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Default Hand embroidery fabrics

I want to start doing some hand embroidery on about 6 patterns and was wondering what fabric would be the best to use. I had some cream colored muslin but it seems so thin so I went and bought some white premium muslin and that seems to be a little heavier and I am concerned about getting a needle thru it. Also, what is the best needle to use for hand embroidery.
Any advice or ideas is so greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I can only say what I like as many will have different opinions. I like a good quality fabric, I use a frixion pen and a light box to transfer a design, I hoop my fabric so I don’t draw my thread too tight and cause puckers, I use the little balls of perle cotton #8 and John James embroidery needles #8.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Of course the use of the embroidered blocks would dictate what would be the best fabric to use. I think a moda solid would be nice to use if they are for a quilt top, wallhanging or pillows. But, if they are for say a curtain or garment, I would think a washable blend that didn't wrinkle would be better.

I think a quick wash would be good to shrink the fabric and a pressing would be where to start with the muslin. In my experience, muslin can shrink quite a bit.
As far as the needle goes, use an embroidery needle. It has a larger eye for threading and is slim to go through the fabric nicely.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:09 PM

The Muslin you picked would be great to get started and I agree with RedGarnet222 - definitely wash and press the fabric before you start stitching.

I use just a regular thin embroidery needle and because I cross-stitch as well, I use DMC floss. Its colorfast so it doesn't bleed, has beautiful colors and I don't have to have a separate storage box for just embroidery thread and cross-stitch thread.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 PM

I haven't done hand embroidery since I was a girl, but I have a friend who does beautiful, beautiful work. For the most part she uses regular quilting cotton, but she fuses something called form flex (or maybe it's flex form? no, I think it's form flex) to the back of the fabric before she starts. It's a lightweight stabilizer. She said she likes it because it hides shadows from traveling and knots, and gives the fabric some body and stiffness to hold up the embroidery. Hope this helps
Old 07-08-2020, 05:54 PM

I'm not a huge embroidery person--but my sis is the embroidery queen! She uses whatever she can get her hands on but tries to get a very nice quality muslin and doubles it so the threads don't show through. She likes DMC, sometimes uses Perl Cotton, and can't help with needle. She doesn't use a hoop--ever--and just works to keep her fabric flat and pucker free. Her stitches are Very tiny and many mistake for machine embroidery.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:39 AM

I really like embroidered blocks in a quilt. I use any cotton fabric and especially like tone-on-tone or soft prints for the background. I use Perle cotton and back the block with white flannel. I make sure I wash both fabrics in HOT water and dry in the dryer to take care of any shrinkage. (Flannel I wash twice) The flannel gives a nice softness to the embroidery work and eliminates shadows. I use a Sewline pencil and a lightbox to trace the patterns because it washes out and comes in several colors.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:22 AM

Thank you everyone on your ideas and advice. I did wash my fabric as I always wash any fabric before I start on a project. I will be using DMC thread cause I have a lot of it due to cross stitching some time ago. I like to do hand work in the evenings and cross stitch got difficult for me to see. Will use everyone's advice to my advantage and see how it works out. Thanks again
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 AM

I have been watching Alex Anderson usually M-W-F do a little FB live program. One day she offered free her pattern for Love Thy Neighbor and gave us some tips. She recommends not traveling between letters and shapes so she uses just one plain piece of fabric with no backing. She also did a demo on how to start without using a knot....so cool, maybe you could google the method? I always have a hand embroidered project on the go, and have really enjoyed using her tips.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:33 AM

I use a Maywood muslin, I double it so that the thread does not show through as much. I don’t have a problem getting the needle through, I also use a hoop.