Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Embroidery >

Hand Embroidery

Hand Embroidery

Old 02-25-2020, 03:28 PM

Question Hand Embroidery

I am going to do a quilt with some hand embroidered blocks. I have done a little embroidery but mostly dish towels or little wall hangings. I have used what is called quilters fleece on the back of a block of a wall hanging to keep the threads and knots from showing on the front and to give the design some definition, but sometimes tiny bits of the fleece come thru to the front with the stitches. What do you recommend I use as a backing for the embroidered blocks since the fabric is white and they will be in a quilt that will be laundered?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

If my white fabric is too thin I will double it up and do two layers but that is rarely necessary. I have found Robert Kaufman Kona solids and Moda Bella solids plenty thick to hide travelling lines on hand embroidery. When I knot off I weave the tail into previous stitches before knotting to hide those. Once layered up with batting and quilted I have had no issues. Here is an example of a quilt I recently finished that had sashiko hand embroidery on white with dark blue thread. This is one layer and none is showing through.
Attached Thumbnails sashiko-koi-resized.jpg  
Old 02-25-2020, 05:25 PM

my sis is an embroidery queen and she always just doubles the fabric. She says it needles better than using a fusible backing.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:48 AM

i do a lot of embroidered quilt blocks and i back my block with flannel. Wash and dry several times so it's pre-shrunk. It gives the embroidered stitches a little "puff". Finished quilts wash well.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 AM

I double my fabric but now I want to try the flannel as recommended by Jacques. Feline fanatic that is a beautiful Coy Quilt.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:04 AM

I love embroidery in quilts. My granddaughter's quilt. Instead of red work I did pink and green.
Attached Thumbnails kathleen-41-x-54.jpg   kathleen1.jpg  
Old 02-26-2020, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

feline fanatic I love your sashiko. I also like the idea of using flannel on the back of work. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:12 AM

Gorgeous work Feline and AZ Jane!