Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hand needles

Blog Entries
    Do hand needles make a diffrence? I use James Hand needles but some one just gave me alot of JoAnns Needles. I Know sewing needles make a world of diffrence.But hand needles?

I love the Roxannes size 10 betweens! For me it does make a difference. I find that they don't bend as easily as some of the other brands. I also love the bigger eye that it has.

Debbie KS

Finding the right needle is a huge problem for me, I like a 10 or 12, but they seem to bend so easily anymore.
    I will be watching to see what everyone says, and what is the best needle to get!

I think the right needle makes a HUGE difference! I think I've tried them all.. I used to use the James needles, but I don't think they slide through the fabric as easily as the Jeana Kimball Foxglove Cottage needles I use now. But be warned the eyes on these are TINY!! and the needles are very fine. But I love them because with the 12's I can get equally tiny stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    I think the right needle makes a HUGE difference! I think I've tried them all.. I used to use the James needles, but I don't think they slide through the fabric as easily as the Jeana Kimball Foxglove Cottage needles I use now. But be warned the eyes on these are TINY!! and the needles are very fine. But I love them because with the 12's I can get equally tiny stitches.
    Do you use cotton thread with them, and how hard are they to thread.
    sometimes when my eyes are tired, I have to go to a 10 in order to get mine threaded.

Power Poster
    I agree that there is a huge difference in hand needles!

Some just glide through the fabric -
    Some seem to be able to thread more easily -

There is a size 11 Between available - I think it was a James brand -
    a little more sturdy and easier to thread than the 12

The numbering system for needles is weird - why is it that the numbers are larger for finer hand sewing needles - and the other way around for machine sewing needles?

I also find a HUGE difference in hand quilting needles. Unfortunately I don't know the brand I am using right now. I got them at Keepsake Quilting last summer. They are #12 and they came in a tiny little glass tube with a tiny little (real) seashell glued to the lid of the tube. I know that doesn't help any but somebody may know what brand is marketed that way. I love them but the eye is teeny tiny. I need my glasses and a magnifier to thread them. I use 100% cotton quilting thread and I always run my thread through beeswax.

I did find this interesting link on a needle review:
    http://planetpatchwork.com/needles.htm

I use Kreinek (sp) thread Ninnie.. yep 100% cotton, and I use the hand quilting kind so it's a bit heavier also.. and yes.. sometimes I have trouble threading the needles.. Have to have a Bright light and the strongest readers I own.. I thread a whole tube (the needles come in tubes) on the spool at once. With a thinner thread it might not be such a challenge. But I sure do love those needles.

Blog Entries
    I adore Roxanne's appliqué needles. I use those for all my hand sewing. They come in a glass vial. Piecemakers are very good too.

I think those James brand needles are crap, and I won't buy any more. They were flaking and leaving little silver flakes of metal on my quilts. I'm now trying out some other brands, so far the best ones I have found are from the thimblelady.

It definitely does make a difference!!

I have tried many kinds and prefer Piecemakers. I use a #10 for handquilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    I use Kreinek (sp) thread Ninnie.. yep 100% cotton, and I use the hand quilting kind so it's a bit heavier also.. and yes.. sometimes I have trouble threading the needles.. Have to have a Bright light and the strongest readers I own.. I thread a whole tube (the needles come in tubes) on the spool at once. With a thinner thread it might not be such a challenge. But I sure do love those needles.
    that's why I ask. I use all cotton, and it is thicker than other threads.
    I have to have a small needle, can't seem to use anything bigger than a 10 and I prefer the 12, but hard to thread them.
    I need to buy some needles, but have been so frustrated with the last batches. they bend so easy.

I'm glad to hear that someone else "bends" their quilting needles. I was telling my friend (who hand quilts) and she said she had never had that problem...

I just have some needles purchased at JoAnn's but maybe I should invest in some better ones :roll: :roll:

I do bend my needles a little, but rarely beyond usable. If you can't find them Ninnie let me know and I'll mail you some. I still owe you a squishy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I'm glad to hear that someone else "bends" their quilting needles. I was telling my friend (who hand quilts) and she said she had never had that problem...

I just have some needles purchased at JoAnn's but maybe I should invest in some better ones :roll: :roll:
    I have had trouble with the bending, I have bent a whole pack!!! I am going shopping tomorrow, and will try some new ones.

I currently use the John Jakes, English needles. I have had to go to a size 9 since my autoimmune disease messes with my hands. They are a little expensive but last me a long time. They also have a round hole that is much eaiser to thread. I like the stiff 100% cotton thread but will use any brand if necessary. I made the mistake of purchasing a pack of needles from Micheals. It only took me a few minutes of use to break several of them in half. I handquilted two queen size quilts in the last three months so I got a lot of use out of my needles.

Thimblelady has a very nice needle for piecing and hand quilting.

I bought a package of sharp 20's. I know they are on the big side but I like them because they do not bend so easily. I know, the smaller the needle the smaller the stitches, but I actually do not want my stitches TOO small. I like to be able to see them.

I agree that the brand can make all the difference in the world, not only with your quilting but also with your sanity while doing it.

I have tried just about every kind out there. I used to love using a #12 but as Ninnie said they bend so easily nowadays.

the worst experience I've had was the piecemaker needles. The eyes kept breaking on me all the time! I was upset because I had to special order them and did so on a review. I ordered a lot of them and now won't use them unless I have nothing else.

The walmart and Joanns brands bend almost as much as thread does..LOL Don't like those.

I now use only Bohen and I use a size 9. I can work with a 9 and it doesn't bend even when I have to quilt through a seem that is thick. I can't get them here but when I go to amish country I buy them out every time!

Lynette

Hi,I have always used Golden Eye size 10,but now have changed to size 12,either Golden Eye or James. After years of teaching the smaller the better for a good hand stitch I now have to admit defeat. My G.P. tells me that I have early Parkinsons, well I still have two big quilts to finish and many ideas I want to try out before the tremors get too much,so they will just have to wait !!!!I can always learn to machine quilt,which goes to show it's never too late to learn.I just wish I had started earlier in life to take up this wonderful craft. Love to all for a wonderful site. Letty

for handquilting, I use John James or Richard Hemming and sons 10-12 Betweens. For hand applique I only use Richard Hemming and sons milliners size 10. These are the one I really love. But this too is always a personal preference.

For applique, I absolutely swear by P3 Designs brand size 11 Applique needles. They can be purchased on line at www.p3designs.com or at lots of quilt shows. They do ben some from the heat of your fingers but they stay sharp and are easy to handle.

I have used various brands of quilting betweens and have yet to find a brand I prefer. I bought some from the Thimble Lady at a quilt show last year and they seem to be pretty good.

I agree that the James brand must be losing their quality. With manufacturers trying to cut financial corners, I think we will be dealing with this problem not just on needles but on many of our favorite quilting things.

I am now using a needle by Thimblelady size M. If you have trouble threading a needle, you might try turning the needle around and thread from the other side. Also Clover has a wonderful desk needle threader.

I get the Jeane Kimball's Foxglove Cottage needles at my LQS.. have also seen them on line. Right now there are probably 12 needles on each of 3 different spools of quilting threads in my box. I was doing some piecing last night and when I pulled off the "next length" of thread noticed that the needle was "chunky" guess I got a few of another brand mixed in with them.
    I was soooooooo obvious stitching with it. Also I'm pretty sure that you could not use a needle threader with these I've never seen one thin enough to go through the eye.a single length of thread will barely go through, let alone a double.

I have found that the desk needle threaders do not work well with a size 12 needle, they won't thread them, and I have to do it by hand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast