Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand piecing needles >

Hand piecing needles

Hand piecing needles

Old 03-19-2024, 07:26 AM

Default Hand piecing needles

I’ve recently begun hand piecing some of my quilt tops and enjoying it immensely. It’s very cozy to sit by the fireplace and sew. Anyway, I’d like opinions on what needles you all like for this. I have many needles that have been mixed together so am not sure what I’m actually using. I think that it is a #9 of unknown brand. I have some John James # 11’s that I know that I don’t like as they are a bit too thin and long. My JJ #7’s sharps that I use for basting in appliqué are too thick but I like the length. I want a good quality needle but don’t know whether I should go with sharps or betweens. I haven’t been able to find the difference in lengths between the 2. I will probably have to order online as my only local source is Walmart so I’d like to get it right the first time!
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:08 AM

Here is a paragraph from Jinny Beyer’s page, she is the only person I know who hand pieces. She apparently uses the same for piecing and quilting.
“Needles I use a between, size 11, for all my hand piecing and quilting. It is a sturdy needle and because it is so short it does not bend as readily. There are a number of needle companies and I have experimented with many of them. Frankly, in my experience, the ones made in China are not the same high quality as those made in England and Japan. I would advise you to check the packaging. If it says “packed in England” and not “made in England,” the needles are probably made in China. My favorite needle of choice at the moment is the Colonial Needle Company’s Super Glide, Between, Size 11. This needle is made in England and has a special coating that allows it to glide more smoothly through the fabric.”
Old 03-19-2024, 08:17 AM

I think it's personal preference. I tried a LOT of different needles - John James, Richard Hemming, Tulip. I have large hands and I really struggled with the smaller betweens and quilting needles. I fell in love with Primitive Gatherings binding needles, they are the BOMB. They glide through fabric like a hot knife through butter and I can actually hold on to them. I don't hand quilt or piece, but I do applique by hand and also sew bindings on by hand. I use the PG binding needles for all of it.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:08 AM

If you're going to use a 'between' needle I would certainly recommend Roxanne needles. I've gotten mine from Colonial Needle and truly love them for hand quilting. I also use them for sewing binding down by hand. Haven't done any hand piecing in a long time. For most hand piecing in the past I just used whatever was handy and not too thick.