Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Piecing with Paper or something else ??? >

Hand Piecing with Paper or something else ???

Hand Piecing with Paper or something else ???

Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 AM

Default Hand Piecing with Paper or something else ???

So the Hexi Bug bit me! I ordered a hexagon paper punch and it should be arriving tomorrow. I spend a good bit of time out of the house with idle hands so i plan to make a hand sewing kit to take along. It's about time i improve my horrible hand sewing skills.

I've seen where some people use copier paper and others use folder weight paper. I was wondering what works best? I would prefer to not have to buy anything else.

Is there any reason i can't re-use food boxes? I love to recycle so i am not against using anything i might have in my trash bin.

What about plastic? Milk jugs are thin enough to use as a template but is there any reason i shouldn't? I figured they are heavy enough to use many, many times and bendable so they won't be rock hard.

If the Hexi's work out, then i would love to be able to make my own shapes and sizes as needed for other piecing projects. I love how there are soooooo many possibilities. I also love all of the various opinions everyone here gives!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 AM

I just ordered the GO die which cuts foundation hex and fab at same time........but I would think anything that works for you will work as the foundation hex...actually you have some good alternatives there and a lot cheaper than ordering...repurposing is my new vocabulary word. I will try cutting those on the new die when it cones in
Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 AM

I use papers that come in "junk mail" Surprising what good paper is used. Some folks use the cards that come in magazines etc. Some use plastic "patties" so I would think milk jugs would work. Also light weight food boxes should work. I would be careful to use the same thing through out your whole project. Different weights could cause the hexies to be a bit different in size, which you don't want. Try a few of each and see what works for you. There is no right or wrong. Just have fun!!

Edit. Some trace around a template and stitch without using any papers etc.

Last edited by humbird; 04-29-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

if you are going to use your punch, you will want paper with a little weight like the subscription cards in magazines but not so thick as to dull the cutter. If you are going to hand cut some hexagon shapes than you can use template plastic, cardboard, margarine lid etc. Have fun!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 AM

I agree with humbug, I made some of my hexies from card stock left over from teaching and some I had purchased and yet others from envelopes from junk mail. Even though they were the same size the thickness is making a difference. Experiment for yourself and see what you are comfortable with. Than use that same thing though out your projects. Just my humble opinion.

By the way what is a hexagon punch?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 AM

I am not a big bacon eater but love the plastic sheets that bacon comes on to make templates. I have friends and family save theirs for me. Also index cards make good templates and would be handy to carry in your kit. If you watch back to school sales you can pick up several packages for very little cost.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
I agree with humbug, I made some of my hexies from card stock left over from teaching and some I had purchased and yet others from envelopes from junk mail. Even though they were the same size the thickness is making a difference. Experiment for yourself and see what you are comfortable with. Than use that same thing though out your projects. Just my humble opinion.

By the way what is a hexagon punch?
It's a paper punch for scrapbooking like a regular paper hole punch but hexagon shaped and bigger. I figured if i had to hand cut so many i might get sloppy after a while so this will keep them all the same.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:36 AM

Hmmmm maybe i should just pick up a package of card stock, then i know the weight of the paper will be consistent and easily replaced. I learned that food boxes and milk jugs vary a lot. Even if you buy the same brand, the weight can change slightly depending on the manufacture date.

Where i live, trash removal is not included in the taxes. I have to pay for everything that comes into my home, i hate to spend more money just to get rid of packaging. Over the years we have done a lot of fun recycling crafts and i am always open to finding ways to reuse almost anything.

I will shop around a bit. Silly me, i forgot that i would need different needles than what i have already so i need to make a trip to the store.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I use the thin cardstock for all paper templates. It's the same thickness every time. I'm not much in reusing anything other then fabric that has served it's main purpose. I would have a house full of saved items waiting for a use.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Carrie in PA View Post
Where i live, trash removal is not included in the taxes. I have to pay for everything that comes into my home, i hate to spend more money just to get rid of packaging.

Our trash fees are added to our water bill. It would be cheaper to have an independent come collect the trash but we can't take the fee off the bill if we did. If we want city water we pay for trash and sewer fees. We don't have to separate for recycling everything goes in one big bin.