Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand piecing?

Power Poster

Hand piecing?

Do any of you do hand piecing?

I still do once in a while. Especially for a complex block that I have no idea for how to press it after it is completed.

I backstitch every three to four stitches. I have found the stitching to be surprisingly hard to remove when it is basically just a short running stitch.

I love handwork but have never done hand piecing. I always have a handwork WIP going. I have done hand applique, hand embroidery, including sashiko, EPP, finished binding by hand and hand quilting but I have never tried my hand at traditional hand piecing. I would like to though. Winding ways is on my bucket list and I may do that as my first foray into hand piecing. The thought of marking all those pieces with my 1/4" seam is what deters me. I am terrible at eyeballing it so would need to mark my seam line. Have considered ordering the inklingo package so I can run it through my printer.

Blog Entries
    I do enjoy hand Piecing. I machine stitch most of the time, but I always have a hand project to take with me where ever I go. If I have wait time, or break time I can sit and stitch. It is amazing how much you can get done in 10-15 minutes sometimes
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I've only done hand piecing with EPP.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    One time, there was a video on the web of an Asian lady who could piece by hand faster than most people sew with a machine. (I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen it). She pieced intricate, small pieces into beautiful quilts.I admire hand piecing and hand quilting, but don't aspire to do it. ha ha. Love my motorized machines!
    Mavis

I used to hand piece when I started quilting because I was terrible at machine piecing. But now I mostly just do hand applique or EPP.
    Lori

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I love handwork but have never done hand piecing. I always have a handwork WIP going. I have done hand applique, hand embroidery, including sashiko, EPP, finished binding by hand and hand quilting but I have never tried my hand at traditional hand piecing. I would like to though. Winding ways is on my bucket list and I may do that as my first foray into hand piecing. The thought of marking all those pieces with my 1/4" seam is what deters me. I am terrible at eyeballing it so would need to mark my seam line. Have considered ordering the inklingo package so I can run it through my printer.
    I would make two templates for each shape - one for the cutting line and one to trace around. I can't eyeball that line, either.

We had a 72-hour power outage 2 weeks ago, and I did some hand-piecing. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. Of course, it's quite time consuming, but in the circumstances, it was relaxing!

I have to admit however that as soon as the power came back, I was back to machine-piecing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
    One time, there was a video on the web of an Asian lady who could piece by hand faster than most people sew with a machine. (I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen it). She pieced intricate, small pieces into beautiful quilts.
    Sounds like you might be talking about Yoko Saito. I was fortunate enough to take a class from her in Houston last year, it was fabulous. She was very patient and demonstrated her techniques over and over again for us. She also had an assistant who was equally skilled and patient. My entire trip to Houston was worth it for that class alone!

Another wonderfully skilled hand-piecer is Jinny Beyer.

I like to hand-piece in the evenings while watching tv with Mr. Peckish, and I love to take hand-piecing projects to work on when I tag along on his business trips.

I am possibly a) mad, b) slapdash, and c) patient, but I find hand sewing very relaxing and machine sewing very stressful, and I can't be doing with all those bits of paper. So I just make a pair of templates - a bigger one to cut round and a smaller one to sew round - or one doughnut shaped one for both, out of some very solid cardboard using a stanly knife or some very sharp scissors to cut it out straight. Then I iron the fabric and lay it nice and flat-but-relaxed on the table, and draw the shapes directly onto the back of the fabric with a softish art pencil, taking care to keep it at a consistent angle rather than digging into the cardboard or the fabric. I cut out my shapes, then just sew backstitch along the lines! I pin the pieces in place as I go along, so adding the patches as I get to them when I am sewing, poking the pins through the corners carefully first and pointing these diagonally outwards so they don't slide, then putting a couple of pins in straight along the line that I am about to sew. I made a hexagonal quilt for my Gran that way, and it worked beautifully. It's kinda wonky if you actually get your ruler and protractor out, but that's part of the charm and it doesn't show! I've just finished sewing the front of a standard square patchwork quilt that way, I've yet to quilt it but it looks good so far.

Probably not your normal recommended style of expert quilting, but it keeps me happy!
    And because there's no sewing machine to lug around and no clickety noise, and I can control it with my fingertips without consciously concentrating, I can sew on the train, while listening to podcasts, in the garden, on holiday, while chatting to talkative relatives... so it's not like the extra time it takes is wasted!
    Last edited by SophieHatter; 04-24-2019 at 01:02 PM.

I love to have a hand work project for trips, appointments, etc. I learned to quilt by hand piecing. Wow, it seems like it was a million years ago!

It looks like I may have somehow left out a whole load of steps? Like adding paper, and then tacking, and then sewing? I just draw the lines, pin it and sew it! It didn't occur to me to do anything else.

Not for me. I love machine piecing. Hand piecing would be too slow.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like hand piecing blocks that have Y seams. I also do paper piecing and some appliqué. I like hand work.

Blog Entries
    I love hand piecing and like others I do it when I have Y seams. I am working on a 30’s now as a side project. I find it very relaxing. I saw Jinny Beyer last year in Shipshewana. Her work is outstanding and her use of color is unmatchable.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I made 4 quilts that were hand pieced and hand quilted. I found it doesn't take that long. I put the pieces for one block in one baggie and I could take it with me. It was a fun process.

I do both. sometime there are things need especial attention! Today everything goes with everything!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieHatter View Post
    It looks like I may have somehow left out a whole load of steps? Like adding paper, and then tacking, and then sewing? I just draw the lines, pin it and sew it! It didn't occur to me to do anything else.
    The adding paper, tacking, and sewing steps are part of EPP, or English paper-piecing. I don't bother with that; I either draw lines or I use the template-and-starch method.

My first hand project was sewing squares together. It was extremely basic and all my corners nested. :-) I was told to use a 1/4 inch ruler - it's like a 4x4 but only 1/4 inch and is about 6 inches long - with a pencil to mark the 1/4 in. to sew along. It was easier to follow and only had to mark one side as I sewed. Then I did GFG - they are the 2 in size and I did not paper piece, just drew the line on them. (One time I decided to use one of the disappearing fabric pens - thinking it was the water soluble and it was the one that disappeared 20 minutes after it was applied. Oops!) Then I discovered EPP and love it. My problem is so many other projects pop up and get finished ahead of the other.

Oh, I think the Irish chain is easier by hand than by machine - but it takes much longer. It all depends on how much you want to accomplish.

Suz
    I believe that Jinny Beyer hand pieces all of her quilts.

Blog Entries
    I think most of my hand Piecing came about from watching Jinny Beyer. I love her quilts, and found them easier to construct than by machine quite often.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Yes, Jinny Beyer is a hand piecer. And her designs are usually a lot easier to hand piece than by machine. She's been one of my favorites since I started quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Not for me. I love machine piecing. Hand piecing would be too slow.
    I’m with Jingle...the only handwork I do is appliqué. Otherwise, I will work on a crochet project.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.