Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???? for Hand Quilters >

???? for Hand Quilters

???? for Hand Quilters

Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
Teddysmom, I heard several years ago, when Alex Anderson had her quilt show, she said that it is fine to press machine sewn seams open. You would do that on clothing and that holds up. When most quilts were hand pieced, then yes, you want the seam pressed to one side. That said, I do find that pressing to one side makes the section pressed towards stand out more than the other..
I only hand quilt, and use store-bought stencils, make my own from cardboard soda packages, love my pounce.
I agree about pressing seams open. I'm going to start looking for stencils and odd-shaped templets for designing the hand quilting. BYW, here is Leischester in NC?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
I also only press to the side...I have used stencils, or just drawn around the shape of a template I have made from think cardboard or quilting template...like a dove, angel, heart, etc. on a faith, hope, love quilt...I use a sliver of soap for dark fabric to mark it, purple pen for light fabric...Or, if I am feeling brave, I will eyeball it...when it comes to seams, I have used the stab and stitch to get thru all of the layers...good luck to you,
Kif
I'm going to try this on my next quilt (which isn't even pieced yet). I'm going to position different templates on the quilt top and use this to cover OVER the seams. That way I'll have fewer bulky seams to quilt thru. Does that sound like to would work?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 AM

Stencil designs make a prettier quilt, at least to my eye, and are more fun to work with, watching the quilt top change appearance. And, I think they are easier than just straight lines. Many quilt shops have plastic stencils for sale, or perhaps someone will lend one. piecefully, the old one
Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 AM

I keep a small pair of needle nose pliers close by if my needle gets stuck I use these to pull it through. Works like a charm. One other really good thing I do is thread severalneedles on to the spool when I start and slid them down. Cut your thread on your last needle and you have several threaded, just cut your thread behind the last needle, saves lots of time for anyone with failing eyesight.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
Aurora, how do you use the elastic as a needle puller???
We use it to pull the needle through. It seems to grip the needle and make it easier to pull.The wide kind that comes with broccli works well.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 AM

I use stencils a lot and when I find a pattern in a quilt magazine that I like I make a copy of it on plastic. I get my plastic from someone at the hospital, - it is used xray sheets.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
When going over "intersections", if the fabric is too thick, I don't go all the way to the back with my needle. Sometimes I only go through the fabric and catch a little of the batting.
Me, too. Also, I do use stencils and many times will use cooky cutters for my patterns. I have a huge amount of cooky cutters to choose from. I have anything from dinosaurs to Noah's ark to reptiles to baby - you name it.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
I use stencils a lot and when I find a pattern in a quilt magazine that I like I make a copy of it on plastic. I get my plastic from someone at the hospital, - it is used xray sheets.
Do you use these OVER the seam line or just in the center of the blocks? I'm wanting something to keep from quilting the bulky seams.\
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM

I do some handquilting, but I use the seam allowance as a quide to get straight lines. For the size of stitches, I started out by using Tiger Tape. Tiger Tape has lines on it, helpful in getting equal stitch size. But as beginner, try to get your stitches uniform in size. Meaning that the stitch and the space between each stitch is the same size. With practice your stitches will become smaller. I, too, use the stab method where seams meet.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM

This is good advice. I agree