Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting on diagonal >

hand quilting on diagonal

hand quilting on diagonal

Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Question hand quilting on diagonal

I am going to start hand quilting my table runner today (hopefully) and do not remember if I always quilt in the same direction of if I quilt to one end and turn and start quilting in the other direction. I seem to remember reading something about if you quilt in two different directions it makes the fabric go wonky. Please help..
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM

I quilt in whatever direction I feel like. I've never noticed fabric getting wonky. The quilt will have a tendency to shrink up a bit but usually not too much with hand quilting.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

I quilt in whatever direction is comfortable for me and how far I can reach. Usually that's right to left with my right hand. Occasionally it's away from myself with my thimble on my thumb instead. I know if you machine sew or quilt all in one direction you can distort the fabric (Bargello) but I don't think it matters in hand quilting. If you have a round hoop to hand quilt with you can turn it how you want. I like my Q-snap floor frame for hand quilting.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 PM

I always start my quilting in the center of the quilt and work towards the edges. With a strippy quilt I start with the stripe in the middle and work towards the top and the bottom. Next I quilt the stripes besides it.

When I have to quilt long diagonal lines (as background quilting) I also start in the middle of the quilt, go to the edges and finish off the thread there. I only turn when the lines are quite short, let's say 2 or 3 inches long. In my experience the fabric will become a little wavy when I don't keep that direction.

I think I have to mention that I do wholecloths and I don't quilt pieced tops - a plain fabric seems to "shift" a little more.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 AM

I'm like Borntohandquilt - I start in the middle and work my way to the top, bottom, and sides. Always working from the center out.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 AM

I agree with the starting in the middle. I don't see to much distortion. I do big stitch with a thicker thread,hand quilting only. I spray baste and pin as well and i have a lap hoop i never use. Working on my son's quilt now....halfway through the quilting
Post pics when you're done!!!