Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting on the go >

Hand Quilting on the go

Hand Quilting on the go

Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM

Everyone -
I've been working on handquilting a quilt for a long time (so long, i won't mention how long!).
I have it pinbasted and I love working on it in my lap. It's more portable than I thought a king-sized quilt might be, even.

I thought I'd start this conversation - if anyone on the board quilts on the go, how do you carry your notions?

I have a little felted wool bag that is a mess and I thought I'd see if anyone had some advice.

This is what I carry:
a load of new needles
2 spools thread
small scissors
thimble
threadwax
baby pliers
pack of gum
Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have everything you need! I do the same and the only thing you left out was chocolate LOL
I use any tote bag that will fit the quilt and any small zippered bag for my supplies.
Oh- depending on how I mark it I may bring along some quarter inch tape or chalk and my quilting template.
Also a small bottle of hand sanitizer.

Isn't it fun??? I love it :D
Old 05-13-2011, 12:55 PM
dd

I don't use the pliers, I use a rubber finger on my index finger to pull my needle. That way I'm always ready, no looking for a rubber band or pliers. Everything fits in a little tin. I keep a magnet in the lid. If a needle gets bent or unusable, I put it under the magnet until I get home and can put it in a prescription bottle to dispose of it.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM

I actually have 2 bags that I use for quilting on the go.

One is for yo-yo's: It is a silver cosmetic bag with about 100 cutouts of the yo-yo circles, snips, yo-yo maker, package of needles, thread heaven, thimble pads, pliers, seam ripper, thread, plastic bag for the finished yo-yo's; rubber gripper, and a notebook and pen.

The second is for applique or regular sewing/quilting: I have a seperate two sided cosmetic bag, which contains duplicates of the above plus pins, a thumb pin cushion, ruler, sewing machine needles, glue stick, marking pen, tape measure, calculator and a rotary cutter.

Depending on where I am going and how long I am gone, I just grab the bag and go.

With the second one, I also grab the project I am working on, a small cutting mat/ironing pad and travel iron, along with my Featherweight. This is usually for an overnight trip or a vacation.

I can be ready in a couple of minutes!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I also carry a few pins as well!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 PM

I use a pencil bag "like to bag the kids use for school" for one and I have made a coulpe bags too. I put some mosit towels in my too.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:03 PM

I carry what you do, usually my stencil/markers of choice for that project and rubber fingers. I toss it all into a ziplock bag and just roll it up in the quilt. I usually use a hoop so that makes a 'bed' sort of for the baggie; stencil; etc. But I like the idea of the 'pencil case'. Might just have to look for one of those as the baggies usually develop holes. I actually have several in a tote bag next to my sewing chair now for extra thread, etc.