Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting With Hoop >

Hand Quilting With Hoop

Hand Quilting With Hoop

Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Hey I am fairly new to hand quilting also. I find that a quilt hoop helps keep the fabric smooth underneath. Start in the center and work out. I also recommend a hoop only large enough that you can comfortable reach your hand up and under to reach to be able to do the stitching. The first hoop I bought about killed me, so I bought a 14" hoop (I think) and find it way easier.

Remember it is suppose to be relaxing and enjoyable.

Diane
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I hand quilt on a Q snap floor frame. It is helpful to have a little slack in the sandwich to hand quilt. 8-10 stitches sounds good to me. The reason I like a frame because on difficult areas (seams) I like to use the "stab" stitch. This is where you quilt stitch by stitch rather than loading your needle. The frame helps to keep the sandwich from moving so the you can poke the needle down from the top, pick up the needle from below the quilt and push it straight back up to the surface to complete a stitch.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:21 PM

I quilt the center using a 14" q-snap, then lose the frame when I get closer to the edges. Until I found this forum, it didn't cross my mind to go frameless, but as others have said, I baste the heck out of the sandwich and haven't had a problem with wrinkles. I do find that I am more likely to pick it up and quilt a few lines when I don't need to mess with a frame!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM

I quilt with a 18" hoop-thats the way I started & its comfortable for me. Start in the middle & work out makes for no wrinkles at all! I have done a little bit without the hoop on the edges & didn't like it at all. I guess I'm too used to the hoop! Whatever works for you best is the way to go! Enjoy it!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM

I also don't use a hoop when I hand quilt. just make sure it is either basted or pinned
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

If you use a hoop or frame, be sure to leave some give/slack so it's easier to maneuver the needle. Not quite as baggy/saggy as a hammock, but it does need some 'sag'

For some reason, although now I have no idea why I thought that - I thought that the fabric was supposed to be pulled tight as a drumhead in a hoop or frame - and then I was wondering why it was so hard to make/do the stitches.

DUH!