Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting and the LQS >

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Old 11-01-2021, 11:00 PM

I know this is a really, really old thread, but I can't resist adding my two cents.

I had purchased an Aunt Becky based off a hand-quilter's recommendation but could never work it successfully.

In 2017 my friend Cindi and I went to the Houston show and went to 2 amazing classes, one by Danny Amazonas (google his work, you will not be disappointed), the other by the wonderfully skilled Yoko Saito. Ms. Saito demonstrated how she uses 2 thimbles when she hand quilts - one metal one on her right (driving) hand, one porcelain on her left (under the quilt) hand. She uses the edge of the porcelain one to skim the needle over as it moves through the quilt sandwich. The technique clicked in my brain! It's SO much easier than the way I've seen the Aunt Beckys demonstrated.

The best part of that class was that she gave each of us one of her porcelain thimbles. We had spotted her earlier that day in the same restaurant where we were eating lunch, and quietly paid for her and her dining partner's meals. That was so much fun!! We were trying to be anonymous but the waitress couldn't keep our secret, she was having fun too. 😁 So when Ms. Saito saw us in her class later that afternoon, she gave us the thimbles as a thank you for buying their lunch. 🥰

Last edited by Peckish; 11-01-2021 at 11:03 PM.