Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand quilting or machine quilting

I would like to know which is the best way to go. I tried to hand quilt before but I could not get the hang of it

Quote Originally Posted by patty04
    I would like to know which is the best way to go. I tried to hand quilt before but I could not get the hang of it
    In my opinion ~ there is no right or wrong answer to this. It all depends on the person, project and what is to be accomplished.

I hand quilt, mainly because I'm too chicken to try the machine quilting ~ although that is on my to-do list for 2010.

As for not getting the "hang" of it; practice, practice, practice

I am also a hand quilter. the main thing is to try to keep your stitches the same size.
    Machine quilting is also ok. Just which ever you enjoy the most. It takes a lot of practice for the handquilting, but to me it is so relaxing!

Blog Entries
    I only machine quilt lol
    My hands won't allow me to handquilt :wink:

I think it is up to you. Do what you enjoy. My hand hurt to bad when I hand quilt so it's machine quilting for me.

Which is best to use - a frame - or hoop

That too depends on what you are more comfortable with. Certainly you could do a lap or baby quilt with a hoop, but I think a queen or king would be easier on a frame. How much space you have would also be a factor. I use a Grace EZ3 frame.

Whether you hand or machine quilt, in my opinion, if completely up to the person who made the quilt top. I do both and for larger quilts, if I want them machine quilted, I send out to a longarmer... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
    In my opinion ~ there is no right or wrong answer to this. It all depends on the person, project and what is to be accomplished.

I hand quilt, mainly because I'm too chicken to try the machine quilting ~ although that is on my to-do list for 2010.

As for not getting the "hang" of it; practice, practice, practice
    I tie most of my quilts, because I can't get my hands to work any more.

I have arthritic hands also. I hand quilt using my thumb and forefinger, which is far easier and came more natural to me than trying to push the needle with the third finger. Don't use a thimble either, I use my fingernail to push the needle. Hands are very large and nothing fit the finger. After five years I have a pretty big callous on the under finger. Funny thing is I can get pretty good stitches after a warm up period, but have the damndest time trying to write! I told that to a lady at a competition who asked me to sign out the quilts I had entered and she said I wasn't the first to say that. I hand quilt with a group of ladies and each and every one of them holds the needle differently. I tried some machine quilting around Christmas--just a tablerunner-- umm not too successful at that but will try some more. Sending a quilt out to be quilted is far too expensive for me and probably I never will--unless I win the lottery :-D

Or neither. When I hand quilt I hold the whole thing in my hand. It is really what you find to be most comfortable for you.

I have tried machine quilting but it is too frustrating for me. There is more that one stitch to hand quilting. The rocking stitch and the jab stitch. I use the jab stitch since I can not do the rocking stitch. With all these methods they require practice, practice, practice. I find the hand quilting relaxing. I do not accomplish as many quilts as those who machine quilt but that is okay.

I did not know there was more stitches. What is the jab stitch maybe that would work better for me

The jab stitch is putting the needle through the quilt (straight down with right hand if right handed) and then pushing it back up with the left hand underneath, approximately 1/4 inch away. This is personal preference on how far apart you want them. I do a lot of stippling so I follow the design that I have traced on the quilt. I use a hoop that sits on my knees so it is easy to have my left hand underneath the quilt.
    I was not able to master the rocking stitch and my teacher who wins prizes for her quilts uses this jab stitch. It takes practice to get consistant but that's the same whatever you do.
    I hope I explained this well enough.

Blog Entries
    I need to occasionally get something DONE so machine quilting is my only option. I don't think it's an either/or proposition. I think people just gravitate toward one method or the other.

Banned
    I have used my machine and even tied quilts. However, i find hand quilting to be my favorite. I use a large hoop. One day I'd like to get a frame. Just have fun and don't worry about it all being perfect! XO Sandra

thank you - you did explain it very well. just one question, would it work if I put the quilt on a frame

Yes, you could use frame. It wouldn't be any different that doing the rocking stitch on a quilt on a frame. I have a frame with a quilt on it but so far it is for looks as I don't have it in a convenient place to work on it, so I use a hoop in front of the TV. The quilt on the frame was one of the first quilts that I used my embroidery machine for.
    I really need to quilt it one of these days.

I also do the jab stitch. I could not master the rocking stitch either but I have my left hand on top and my right hand on the bottom. I am right handed so my eye-hand co-ordination is better with my right hand. I know hwat it is doing under there but I have to keep an eye on my left hand so it is on top.

I love to Hand Quilt thats all I know I was going to ask about machine quilting and any advice on Long-arm machines