Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting - need help >

Hand Quilting - need help

Hand Quilting - need help

Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by karendenice
Local quilters shop told me that the spray basting would not last more than a few hours. And I'd have to keep spraying it.
I think there is some confusion there. Spray basting is done only once and stays for months. Some people have problems getting the spray basting to stick to polyester batting (some don't). I always use cotton batting, and I've never had a problem with a spray-basted quilt coming apart.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM

what about the poster boards that teachers use, I bought one at Staples it folds us, it is the kind of board you would use for a display of say pictures. That's what I use when pinning on my dinning room table. when finished it folds up. works great
Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rndelling
I read somewhere, maybe even on this board, to put a marble under the quilt. This will raise it enough that you won't pin the floor and it will roll to the next spot. Haven't tried it but it sounds logical.
Also, if you belong to a church, usually you can ask and they'll allow you to use their tables. Push several tables together, depending on the size of your quilt, tape and pin as usual. This would save your back too.
I'm sure you'll get some other good answers here too.
sounds like a good idea
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM

for big quilts I take them to church anad use their tables, three women and I get together once a month to work on our UFQ If one needs pinning we do it then together. Shortens the time when you have help.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM

Oh, my... bless your heart !! I invested in a $35 folding table from WalMart. Start at one end of the quilt with backing, batting, pieced top all together. Table is 30" wide x 62" long... I can work on large section at a time. Start pinning and smoothing AWAY from me. Has worked very well... even for king size quilts. I work down the middle for 40 to 50 inches wide... all the way to other end. Then, turn and work the sides, hand pressing to the outer edges. Works great and can be folded up and put away.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 AM

Karendenice, A lady on this Board said she puts a piece of wood on her bed and uses it as her cutting board. This idea would also work for you. It would be easier on your back than laying the quilt on the floor. Eiltcoq.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 AM

karendenice, The basting spray will last a long time. You don't have to worry about it not wearing off. I use it all the time and I don't get my quilts quilted right away. Eiltcoq.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I am a fan of quilting spray. I have a top I started quilting and then got side tracked by other projects. I went back to it 3 months later and it was still holding just fine.