Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting needle? >

hand quilting needle?

hand quilting needle?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
Did you know that many needles have a right side and a wrong side? If you flip it over - sometimes you can thread them much easier.
I just found this out recently and it does make a huge difference.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Are you using thread that is for hand quilting. It feels stiffer than other thread. It is almost like a very thin wire. Yes, try turning the needle around. If you are right handed thread the needle with the end of the thread before you cut the thread off the spool. If you are left handed, thread the needle with the end that you actually cut off the spool. This will help keep the thread from knotting up on you as you quilt.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 AM

After trying many different needles and brands of quilting thread, I have decided my favorite needle is a size 11 Big Eye needle by John James. It's a short needle, but it doesn't bend like a size 10 or 12 does. Also, you can thread it without a needle threader, if you use the following quilting threads: YLI or Guttermann. Both threads are 100% cotton, but have a finish to them that makes them easy to thread. A needle threader for quilters would help also. My favorite is the Clover double threader - one end for regular needles, and the other end for small eye needle like betweens. Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi, you are not doing anything wrong! Make sure the thread is hand quilting thread! My favorite is Coats, green label, extra strong. It doesn't fray, and you can thread that 10 or 12 between needle.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM

Hand quilting thread has a finish on it that makes it stiffer than reg. thread. I have tried many brands of needles and my favorite is John James Betweens size 10. Never had one break or bend on me. Also you cannot use hand quilting thread in your machine. It will gum up the tension discs.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Be sure to thread the needle with the end of thread that comes off the spool first. Some quilters will thread the needle before they cut the thread from the spool. Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM

I find a size 9 needle, thread cut at a slant and wetting the eye of the needle are the tricks that work best for me. The larger the number on the needle the smaller the more stitches per inch of quilting. Practice with the size 8 or 9 needles and slowly work your way to your number 10 needles...Happy Quilting... hand quiltin g is so relaxing enjoy your journey to smaller stitches. :-D :-D :-D
Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM

I find a size 9 needle, thread cut at a slant and wetting the eye of the needle are the tricks that work best for me. The larger the number on the needle the smaller the more stitches per inch of quilting. Practice with the size 8 or 9 needles and slowly work your way to your number 10 needles...Happy Quilting... hand quiltin g is so relaxing enjoy your journey to smaller stitches. :-D :-D :-D
Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM

I also have to say that, although I have decided to use the Roxanne needles exclusively at this point, I really like the Thimblelady brand needles as well. They are more like a straw/millener's needle as they are longer. They are sized predicated on the type of fabric that you are quilting. I did like them alot but found them to be a bit bendier than the shorter needle. Maybe loading too many stitches???? Check out her website for tutes and see what you think. I just found that I could get the Roxanne's quicker/easier/cheaper than the Thimblelady's.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Another vote for the John James Big Eye 11 Betweens, although a friend of mine can't get on with them at all. I can't remember if the eye is bigger than the eye on a standard 10, I haven't used a 10 in ages, but it might well be. I use Gutermann Sulky thread and seldom bother with a needle threader. As well as getting a good needle threader and all the general tips such as wetting both the eye and the thread, just get yourself a selection of different needles, perhaps a few different threads, and experiment until you find what suits you.