Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Needles >

Hand Quilting Needles

Hand Quilting Needles

Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I am using John James for years now and I never had any problems at all. Maybe you really got a bad batch, maybe it is just how you personally feel. However, when the Dritz needles work fine for you use them! We are lucky quilters today to have the choice between so many different brands. I also try different needles when I have the possibility.
Ditto - I also use the John James twin pointed needles for quilting.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM

I had used Clover betweens for awhile, size 12. I decided to try some other brands and I was so surprised how different some of them were. You would think that a really sharp needle would always be a good thing, right? Well the clover was very sharp but it wasn't good, it just tore up my fingers underneath the quilt, much worse than other brands. The length of the Clover 12's were more like a 10 in other brands. I love Richard Hemmings 11's and Jeana Kimbals 11's. I tried a size 12 Roxanne needle once, it bent after about 10 stitches, I couldn't believe it. I have some size 10 and 11 Roxanne needles but I haven't tried them because I have gotten used to using my Clover needle threader (I love it) and Roxanne needles don't work in it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm a very happy user of Roxanne's size 11 needles. I used to have many problems with needles bending and breaking, but once I got the "flip" right( bringing the needle up , perpendicular to the quilt to take a new stitch, they last much much longer!