Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand quilting needles

I usually buy #7 tweens for quilting.......now these are very small.....so how can a 12 be smaller.....and straw needles..what are they made from?

I have been looking at needles at quilt store webs and just don't get it :? :? :roll: :D

I think the bigger the number the smaller the number that is what i was told

I use #10 betweens by Roxanne. They have a nice sized eye that is easier to thread. I am with you Ruth the 12's are only about an inch long and too tiny for me.

Debbie

I haven't even found 12's around here....how would you thread them....I would like to see some......there is a small quilt show near here, in august.....maybe some there
    :roll:

what kind do you use loretta for hand quilting? I know wallmart and Joanns have nothing so I think I will try the reg quilt shops :D

I use Clover #10 hand quilting needle, it's 1-1/4 inch long, there is also #9 and #8 that are even smaller, I'm with you, how can you thread it? or even hold it?

A straw needle is very small around and longer than a quilting needle. It is most often used for applique.

when I hand quilt I always use size 10 betweems . #12 is the smallest but I can not get them threaded. The straw needles are used for applique or hand sewing. I use them to hand sew binding on my qults and really like them. Marge

I like #10 Piecemakers - a really inexpensive needle, but my favorite for quality! :D

I use Richard Hemming brand size 11 betweens for handquilting. The size 12's I tried just bent into curves! Maybe it was a cheap brand!

You are so right Jerrie, it is the same with the needles we use at the hospital. The larger the gauge, the tinier the needle... Cindy

Hi there - Thimblelady.com has a beautiful selection of silk thread for applique. After matching with the project peice, your stitches almost disappear and also her needles are wonderful. I went to a day workshop in Orlando with her and sat there amazed. Oh to live in Australia and take more classes... Cindy

I use a #11 or #12 and there very small.
    The smallest you can get I believe. I'm just comfortable using them. I believe there a big eye James needle.

For my machine quilting I use a 90/14 or a 80/12, but I do crosshatch quilting, not anything fancy that some are very talented in doing.

Keep it rock'in
    simple quilter

My friend Pat introduced me to the straw needles and her's are like 2 inches long. Nice to needle turn, which I will have to practice to get the nack.

simple quilter