Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Quilting With No Hoop?

Blog Entries

Hand Quilting With No Hoop?

I was just curious if anyone has ever hand quilted a bed size quilt with no hoop or anything similar when quilting?
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

I have and I'm trying to decide which I prefer. I think it's quilting without the hoop. It just seems a bit easier not to have to maneuver the hoop along with the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I have done both but I think my stitches are better when I use a hoop. I'm more comfortable without a hoop though There are lots of folks here that quilt without a hoop.
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    i quilt big quilts with hoop. i dont like a hoop at all now

QM
    I have. It was my second quilt. I had major problems with it. Be sure to pin baste it as you would for machine quilting. (I didn't, whcih was the major cause of most of my problems. ) I came from a background of embroidery, which I generally prefer to do without a hoop, but that is quite different.

I hand quilt with no hoop. I find it much easier. One day when I feel very brave I will post a picture of my half finished Hawaiian quilt.
    Lorraine
    I love hand quilting, gives me peace.

I prefer hand quilting with a frame or hoop. I cannot imagine quilting without something to hold it tight.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i never use a hoop or frame for hand quilting...i want tiny sts and being able to fold fabric in one hand and manipulate the needle with the other hand helps this. it means you have to have lots of basting but that's okay as i can put on the longarm and baste about 4--6 inches apart in large squares. travels everywhere easier, easier on the hands than awkward angles to hold the hoop and faster as you don't have to move the hoop and re-organize to go back to work...

I do both. I pin baste about a hand-width apart in all directions. With a king size quilts and all those pins it's quite heavy. I don't really find a difference in my stitches either way. Mostly I like using a hoop as it makes finding where I left off alot easier!

I can't imagine using a hoop. I suppose it might improve my quilting if someone showed me how (I'm self-taught so far as it goes) so it isn't that I am anti-hoop, it just seems awkward to me.
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

Blog Entries
    It is so great to read this thread. I have only quilted one quilt by hand and I did it without the hoop and thought I was breaking the rules, but it did make it easier to get those stitches to look nice. I still have some quilting to do on that quilt, maybe is should be doing that in the evening.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

I am really glad you started this topic. I have such a hard time making small stitches. I thought not using a hoop would be 'taboo'. I'm so glad to see that so many of you do not use a hoop. I am certainly going to try that now. I have a feeling that I will enjoy quilting much more. I hate manipulating a hoop.
    Shirls

I often do.

I've done both as well. Since I get smaller stitches if the fabric is loose, I don't try to hoop the fabric tight. It's a personal choice, I think.

Blog Entries
    No but I'm taking a class in March on that very subject!
    Sewflower

Blog Entries
    I hate using a hoop. I just can't get comfortble, I can't get even stitches, it's very clumsy for me. I've handquilted many larger quilts without a hoop. I do baste, using the Shaumber method. I find that I can get very small, even stitches without a hoop or frame. Right now I am hand quilting a T-shirt quilt without a hoop. It's like quilting through plywood but I absolutely couldn't do it in a hoop.

I have only quilted a couple but my first was 80% left of a King size (after a bunch of ladies ditched the charity project) and did it by hand, no hoop. It went pretty well. I kept the part I wasn't working on in a giant trash bag to keep it clean, and I dragged that quilt around with me for weeks trying to finish it up!

I definitely prefer no hoop when quilting by hand. I've tried hoops and frames but I can't hardly quilt when my hands can't feel eachother really well.

DJ
    I turn to hand quilting for things too large to get in my machine (including king size). No hoop for me! I do get "kisses" on the back that I'm wondering if I could avoid with a hoop, but I'm not going to worry about them. I'm not entering them in competition.

I don't use a hoop or a frame, and my current project is queen-sized/hand quilting.
    "When I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darnedÂ…But when one of my grandchildren sleeps on one of those quilts, they'll think about me, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten." from 'Aunt Jane of Kentucky' by Eliza Calvert Hall

I'm a newbie (only working on my 3rd quilt). I started out using a frame because I thought it was required. My last quilt was done without a hoop or frame. I've learned from that quilt that the secret is in the pinning or basting (whichever you prefer) in keeping everything smooth. My last quilt isn't as smooth as I would like so I know on this next one that I need to take MORE time in the pinning or basting process.

When hand quilting, I do not quilt with a hoop...it is too constraining for me. I do baste my quilts very well to be able to quilt without the hoop. I am self taught to quilt...maybe if I had ever taken a class on hand quilting, I would have learned how to use a hoop....but my quilts that are hand quilted do turn out flat, so I am ok without using a hoop.